Busted!

We all wear a green carnation.
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

klinton said:
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
I find it funny that G dug this thread up from teh abyss to discuss closing it. I think it was about to die a natural death.

He didn't. There was a stupid 'pun' tacked onto it, and then several posts requesting it's closure. G-man is not the devil folks.

I wasn't saying that. I guess I didn't know there were missing posts. I would never call G the devil tho, after all he IS my dad.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
DO WE CLOSE THE THREAD OR NOT?
Users may choose only one (2 total votes)
Yeah, close it. It's turned into nothing but a thread for trolling and name-calling, like DK and Sammitch said
2 100%

No, keep it open. Something worthwhile may still come of it yet.
0 0%

Keep those votes coming in, folks.

Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
No. I believe it should be allowed to die naturally. And I ain't saying that just because I started this thread. Nope.

Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Quote:

klinton said:
I must say...This is a very fascinating thread. You guys are a lot more open minded than I'd previously given you credit for.

But in all honesty, I think the whole gay marriage thing is such an overzealous waste of public attention. I'm a card carryinng friend of Dorothy, but I really don't get exited by our impending 'equal rights' here in Canada. I don't see it as being a workable situation in today's society. As enlightened as we've become in modern society, I would still not want to have my 'marriage' be immediate information in assorted situations (a job application being the first example that springs to mind). There is still more than enough ignorance going around (ex: Captain Sammich here) to make a marriage an unnecessary burden. It's sad but true.

I know that as much as I love my boyfriend (of 3 1/2 years), I have no intention of making him my husband. This isn't a statment of shame, as I'd never think of hiding denying my homosexuality...But at the same time, it's not the first thing that anyone I've just encountered needs to know about me.

I think the subject should be reveiwed again in the future...But right now, society just isn't ready to handle this.

Uh...wow....I read Wednesday's post about starting the thread, and decided to go back and do some reading from the earliest pages. I came across this loser. Fuck if I haven't done a complete 1800 over a couple of years.

If karma's a bitch, it will be my bitch!
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Shouldn't you be out looking for a job?

Shouldn't you be minding your own business you fucking fascist piece of shit?

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
rex #225117 2005-04-29 4:25 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I think it should stay open. Otherwise a precedent will be started & the mods will get requests for other threads being closed & whining about why the thread was closed & on & on. If you don't like the thread, just don't read it, much less continue posting on it.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

Wednesday said:
No. I believe it should be allowed to die naturally.

Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
I think it should stay open.

Then, as Puffy says, vote or die my friends.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Vote or Puff Daddy will kill you!

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Aw c'mon. Don't close the thread. If it the issue doesn't come up in this one again eventually, it'll just start up in another. I distinctly remember two other threads with this same subject and length. It'd be no matter.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
As of Fri Apr 29 2005 12:35 PM :

Quote:

DO WE CLOSE THE THREAD OR NOT?
Users may choose only one (9 total votes)
Yeah, close it. It's turned into nothing but a thread for trolling and name-calling, like DK and Sammitch said
7 78%

No, keep it open. Something worthwhile may still come of it yet.
2 22%

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Thank Gob for alt IDs.

Pariah #225123 2005-04-29 9:53 PM
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
Aw c'mon. Don't close the thread. If it the issue doesn't come up in this one again eventually, it'll just start up in another. I distinctly remember two other threads with this same subject and length. It'd be no matter.

I'm all for a brand new thread on the topic. I found this to be an interesting discussion at first, and it's annoying to have to sift through hudreds of idiotic trolling posts while trying to find some actual content.

In fact, the whole point of closing this thread would be to start a new one for seriously discussing same sex marirages with hopefully all the trolling hopefully over and done with - seriously, after 47 pages, surely everyone's gotten the trolling out of their system and we can begin anew.

Last edited by Darknight613; 2005-04-29 9:54 PM.

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
That doesn't mean non-trolling threads can't come from this topic. It was ressurected a few times before, and they had some serious discussion. Plus if we need reference, it's all in one place.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
I find it funny that G dug this thread up from teh abyss to discuss closing it. I think it was about to die a natural death.

I think it's funny that he did that and then posted this:

Quote:

the G-man said:
Shouldn't you be out looking for a job?

He could have been a little more subtle, like, I don't know...

Quote:

the G-man said:
Shouldn't you be out looGAY MARRIAGEking for a job?

I also think it's funny that he's a bitch.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Well I jumped through the hoop & voted. So now what other threads should be voted on? Since it seems to only take a couple of people complaining to hold a vote on a popular thread being locked up, why don't we make a clean sweep of the forum? I really hate it when other people decide for me what is & isn't worth posting on. I thought most of us shared that ideal no matter our political leanings. Feh!

Fair play!
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
This thread has treaded on the offensive on more than one occasion. I, a flaming gay homosexual man, find it grating to see at the top of the forum ever other month. Why does it bother you so much that it's had its time?

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

klinton said:
This thread has treaded on the offensive on more than one occasion. I, a flaming gay homosexual man, find it grating to see at the top of the forum ever other month. Why does it bother you so much that it's had its time?

It bothers me that it's really been decided for me & everyone else. Your annoyance of seeing the thread shouldn't be more important than other people wanting to post on it. Would you like Pariah or Batwoman be able to go to Wednesday about a thread they no longer wish to see & having a special vote on locking it up? And it just sucks that while they may find my lifestyle obscene, they were at least willing to share & discuss opinions on a gay thread & not have it done away with.

Fair play!
Pariah #225129 2005-04-30 3:42 AM
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
I merely proposed relaunching the same-sex marriage thread because I thought that people who wanted to seriously discuss it could have a new thread that wasn't cluttered with trolling. Yes, there have been some valid points raised on this one, but they're incredibly difficult to pick out among all the flames and trolling. Believe me - I've tried.

If the rest of you want to keep this one open, so be it. I just thought it would make things easier for those who wanted to discuss this issue seriously to have a new thread to do so with.

Besides, since when does anyone around here listen to me anyways?

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

Darknight613 said:
Besides, since when does anyone around here listen to me anyways?

I always read your posts DK. I think your really an asset to this place.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Rob could always just go through this thread with a fine-tooth comb and wead out the obsceneties if you care so much.

Pariah #225132 2005-04-30 5:06 AM
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
Rob could always just go through this thread with a fine-tooth comb and wead out the obsceneties if you care so much.

Then there would hardly be anything left. It would be less effort to just start another thread - as MEM has already done.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
How about no because its incredibly pointless. At this point, whilst there's inflammatory bits within this thread, there still remains large quantities of valid argument that go over just about every facet there is. Just keep everything in one thread here.

Pariah #225134 2005-04-30 1:33 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Well, this was an interesting experiment.

I'm voting the thread stay open.

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I agree with G -Man and Pariah. This thread should stay open. The arguments were sometimes heated but were often interesting.

By the way, I'm not an obscene lifestyle, though many might see me that way. I'm a person.

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
You are not your lifestyle. I have always maintained that separation. So I may not agree with what you do, but I don't think anything less of you as a person for it.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Thank you, Captain Sammitch.

life." - Tuvok.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
I do what I can.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts

life." - Tuvok.

Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:

Uh...Beardguy...you do realize that that was just forked tounge bullshit, right? You are not 'not-gay'...and until you atain that standard he will continue to judge you. The implications of his stament are that you are doing something wrong...something that you should quit.

Nothing to thank him for.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

klinton said:
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:

Uh...Beardguy...you do realize that that was just forked tounge bullshit, right? You are not 'not-gay'...and until you atain that standard he will continue to judge you. The implications of his stament are that you are doing something wrong...something that you should quit.

life." - Tuvok.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Quote:

klinton said:
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:

You wanna settle down? I said what I said. Nothing more, nothing less. No - I don't approve of it and I don't condone it. But I refuse to let that keep me from appreciating people for who they are. And if your identity is that wrapped up in something like sexual orientation, maybe there are some underlying problems going on.

Believe it or not, Klinton, I don't look sideways at every gay person I see. Some of my good friends are gay. Before I knew, they were perfectly ordinary, intelligent, talented people I enjoyed being around. After I knew, they were perfectly ordinary, intelligent, talented people I enjoyed being around. I don't appreciate them any less. I don't appreciate Beardguy or Jim J or you any less either. If you've got so much of a chip on your shoulder that you're convinced I can't care about you as a person and yet not approve of your choices, then you're the one with stuff you need to let go of. Be cool, dude.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Another, albeit minor, legal issue arising out of gay marriage, Mass. Debates Birth Certificates for Babies of Same-Sex Couples:

Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney (search) says babies born to couples of the same sex should be given amended birth certificates, but supporters of gay marriage who want to change those certificates say the governor's formula for doing so is wrong.

Click in the box to the right to watch a report by FOX News' Alisyn Camerota.

Birth certificates (search) are supposed to establish identity and parentage. In Massachusetts, the only state in the union where same-sex marriage (search) is legal, gay rights advocates want the words "Mother" and "Father" removed from birth certificates, and put in their place the terms "Parent A" and "Parent B."

"There should be no doubt in Massachusetts that Massachusetts records should accurately reflect the true nature of Massachusetts families and that includes same-sex couples," said Michele Granda, staff attorney for Gay and Lesbian Advocates and Defenders.

Romney has instructed hospitals to cross out the words "Mother" or "Father" and write in the phrase "Second Parent."

"I'm opposed to taking the Massachusetts birth certificate and removing the term 'Mother' and 'Father' and substituting 'Parent A' and 'Parent B,'" Romney said. "Look, each child has a mother and a father. They should have the right to have that mother and father known to them and that's something I'd like to preserve on a birth certificate."

Romney opposes same-sex marriage. Gay advocates say his latest stand is discriminatory.

"There's no need for the governor to be stigmatizing the children born to same-sex couples just because he does not personally approve of same-sex couples," Granda said.

As Romney contemplates a run for president, the Republican governor from a liberal Northeast state knows his position on birth certificates has to appeal to Southern and Midwestern conservatives. Still, Romney said, he's voicing his conscience.

"My view is that that's wrong on paper and it's wrong on fact. Every child deserves to have a mother and a father, and a birth certificate should reflect mothers and fathers," he said.

Like the decision allowing gay marriage in Massachusetts, the description of a parent on birth certificates also appears to be destined for the court.

the G-man #225145 2005-08-16 7:02 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Toronto Sun--
    Bill Dalrymple, 56, and best friend Bryan Pinn, 65, have decided to take the plunge and try out the new same-sex marriage legislation with a twist--they're straight men. . . . The two--both of whom were previously married and both of whom are still looking for a good woman to love--insist that after the humour subsided, a real issue lies at the heart of it all. 'There are significant tax implications that we don't think the government has thought through.' Pinn said.

the G-man #225146 2005-08-16 7:48 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Heh. And the funny part is, the nature of their straight-gay marriage is exactly of the same nature as an exclusively gay marriage.

Pariah #225147 2005-08-16 8:52 PM
25+ posts
25+ posts
I find it fascinating that this thread has garnered more posts than the one on the Iraq war.

"Just because I don't like to fight doesn't mean that I can't."
Methos #225148 2005-08-16 9:00 PM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Every gay thread does.

Search for the "Generic Gay Thread" as well as the "Gay Marriage Banned in 11 States" while you're at it.

Pariah #225149 2005-08-17 2:54 AM
25+ posts
25+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
Every gay thread does.

Search for the "Generic Gay Thread" as well as the "Gay Marriage Banned in 11 States" while you're at it.

Bloody...you weren't kidding.

I keep underestimating how sensitive a topic it can be to some people. Especially compared to some of the other stuff going on in the world today.

"Just because I don't like to fight doesn't mean that I can't."
Methos #225150 2005-08-17 3:00 AM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Maybe it gets more posts because it is a more complicated issue.

Page 30 of 50 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 49 50

Link Copied to Clipboard