Page 36 of 50 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 49 50
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

In a polygamist situation, are all the wives married to each other, or are they each singly and only married to the man?

I'm not exactly sure to be honest, but I think they are all married to the man, but the arument could be, why should a woman be kept from marrying the man she "loves" just because he's allready married if he and his current wife both consent?

There is an argument to be made that women who are willing to do this are, in fact, debasting themselves, lowering their status as an equal within the marriage just "to get their man."

I would agree with you entirely and yet there are people who would make similar if not the same arguments about same sex marraiges. I'm not saying there aren't compelling value judgements to be made. I'm just asking if you want the government to make value judgements. I for one do.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
I would agree with you entirely and yet there are people who would make similar if not the same arguments about same sex marraiges.

I will need to see some semblance of the argument about how one man marrying another man or one woman marrying anotehr woman is debasing himself/herself before I have an idea of what to make of that remark.

Quote:

I'm not saying there aren't compelling value judgements to be made. I'm just asking if you want the government to make value judgements. I for one do.

I think we ask our government to do that all the time. We have, as a people, decided that the general legal age for adulthood in the US is 18. You can vote at 18 in any state, serve in the military, get married, own property, etc. Why 18? Because we've made that value judgement. It is iron-clad? No, we have seen instances where 18 year olds can behave like children. But we've drawn that distinction and we move on and deal with issues that arise from it on a case by case basis.

I see acceptable value in a same-sex union.

I don't see acceptable value in any kind of polygamist union.

We all wear a green carnation.
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
And besides, any man who wants more than wife is just fucking nuts! One is bad enough.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

I will need to see some semblance of the argument about how one man marrying another man or one woman marrying anotehr woman is debasing himself/herself before I have an idea of what to make of that remark.

That's not the point I'm making. I'm making the point that you're trying to say that you think Marraige should be between 2 people because you think it's wrong to do otherwise. At the same time a majority of people in the US think marraige should be between a man and a woman and that it would be wrong to do otherwise. While I agree with your assesment of polygimists, I would say that you're doing to them exactly what you ask others not to do of you.

Quote:

I see acceptable value in a same-sex union.

There are two arguments here, the one you made above wich I think is good. If you see acceptable value then you need to promote that value to enough people to affect the legislature to make changes accordingly. If however you want to argue that marraige is a civil right then you have no grounds for denying it to others just because you don't see the acceptable value.

Putting the "fun" back in Fundamentalist Christian Dogma. " I know God exists because WBAM told me so. " - theory9 JLA brand RACK points = 514k
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
If however you want to argue that marraige is a civil right then you have no grounds for denying it to others just because you don't see the acceptable value.

I'll give that argument credence when I see Polygamists staging their own Stonewall and Pride Days. When I see polygamists given their own special symbol in the Death Camps. When I see polygamists beaten and strung up to die in Wyoming. When I see Jerry Falwell declare that a disease has been specifically created by God as punishment for polygamists.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Civil rights aren't a prize you get for being persecuted, having parrades or attacking policemen from bars. Civil rights are just that rights. By your logic civil rights would only apply to the oppressed and noone else. How about Koreans. Do they deserve civil rights?

You're starting to make emotional arguments, not logical ones.

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Civil rights aren't a prize you get for being persecuted, having parrades or attacking policemen from bars. Civil rights are just that: rights.

That is probably the first great thing I have read in this thread. Well said WBAM!

Reveling in the knowledge that Sammitch will never interrupt my nookie ever again. 112,000 RACK Points!
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Civil rights aren't a prize you get for being persecuted, having parrades or attacking policemen from bars. Civil rights are just that rights. By your logic civil rights would only apply to the oppressed and noone else. How about Koreans. Do they deserve civil rights?

It's easy to say that dismissively when you're not somebody in the persecuted group.

My god, I can't even be out to my employer without being fired on the spot.

And I appeal to an emotional example (see above) when I can't see the logic in the other argument, i.e., supporting polygamy.

Futhermore, the establishment of civil rights in this country has always been brought about from those groups who have felt opposed and became motivated to protest.

And don't start telling me that being persecuted isn't a cause for civil recognition. The Jews got Israel given to them following the Holocaust.

Last edited by Jim Jackson; 2006-01-19 10:17 PM.

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Jim. I never thought I had to say this, because, in spite of our many disagreements and the many times I feel you've been wrong, I always thought you were reasonable enough. However, that last post just leads me to believe that YOU'RE A GODDAMN FUCKWIT!!

Pariah #225360 2006-01-19 11:38 PM
I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
Pariah....
You have no idea how many people feel the same about you, do you?

"Ah good. Now I'm on the internet clearly saying I like tranny cleavage. This shouldn't get me harassed at all."
-- Lothar of the Hill People
PCG342 #225361 2006-01-20 4:37 AM
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Silly PCG. No one ever thought I was reasonable to begin with.

Pariah #225362 2006-01-20 4:54 AM
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Quote:

Pariah said:
Silly PCG. No one ever thought I was reasonable to begin with.

True that!

Reveling in the knowledge that Sammitch will never interrupt my nookie ever again. 112,000 RACK Points!
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:

It's easy to say that dismissively when you're not somebody in the persecuted group.

And I appeal to an emotional example (see above) when I can't see the logic in the other argument, i.e., supporting polygamy.

Futhermore, the establishment of civil rights in this country has always been brought about from those groups who have felt opposed and became motivated to protest.

And don't start telling me that being persecuted isn't a cause for civil recognition. The Jews got Israel given to them following the Holocaust.

It's much easier for me to say this because I'm white and straight, but if we look at rights as a give-and-take rewards system then no one will ever be even. Black people and white people will always be feuding because someone called someone else a nigger or a whitey. Gay people and straight people will always be bickering because we happen to check out opposite genders.

Rights should be rights. We should all have them and be equal. You should be allowed to get married because I'm allowed to get married. You should be allowed a chance at a job because I'm allowed a chance at a job, but that's all you get. A chance. When you think of rights as a rewards system, suddenly you have people in positions they don't deserve because they achieved their status through whining. Look at the current situation in Israel: they're surrounded by enemies who don't believe they have any right to be there. If rights are concrete, then we don't have those kinds of problems.

Of course, this world I'm describing will probably never come to pass because we're all a bunch of bastards. I respect your posts and definitely don't think that you're the whiner type, but WBAM is right.

P.S. Your employer is a bastard who needs to get fired.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Killconey said:

It's much easier for me to say this because I'm white and straight, but if we look at rights as a give-and-take rewards system then no one will ever be even.

It isn't about "give and take." It's about recognizing injustices and redressing them reasonably so that there is equal protection under the law. If we're still stuck on the "gays and polygamists" argument, no one has yet presented a *reasonable* argument that polygamists are a group who feels disenfranchised with respect to marriage.

Quote:

P.S. Your employer is a bastard who needs to get fired.

He owns the business.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

Sam Alito on Brokeback Mountain
What do the bitter neocon nominee and the amazing Oscar-bound film have in common?

- By Mark Morford, SF Gate Columnist
Friday, January 20, 2006

There is this theory, more of a truism really, tossed about like a fuzzy beach ball by the gurus and the masters and the mystics since Jesus was but a lint ball of possibility in the Great Belly Button of Time.

It goes like this: When human consciousness expands, for whatever reason and with whatever stimulation and even if you can only measure it in hairsbreadth, when our nasty habit of harsh judgment falls away and people begin to get a little bit, you know, lighter, there is always, as sure as there's someone who hates the sunrise, a clampdown, a recoil, a desperate need by the terrified and ever-paranoid conservative sect to, you know, put a quick stop to this so-called awakening crapola ASA-damn-P.

As soon as people begin realizing there's more to this brief little slice of existence than hate and war and the constant drumbeat of fear, there's always resistance, a reactive sneer at the idea that people might be waking up, even a little, and it's all in the name of protecting the status quo and defending the power base and not upsetting any of those carefully wrought prejudices, about making sure everyone stays quiet and doesn't ask any difficult questions of the Authority.

Religious groups make phone calls and complain. Big chunks of money get thrown into the pockets of sanctimonious politicians. Quasi-religious bonk-job leaders declare sex and music and gay people the source of all woes and vices and diseases. Ugly new laws get passed. And yes, bitter, convulsive justices get appointed to the Supreme Court.

Just like, you know, right now.

Witness, won't you, the confluent forces, the twin streams of conflicting culture represented by the amazing "Brokeback Mountain" movie phenomenon, a spare and sad and highly controversial little indie-style flick that is shaking up the homophobic community and raking in the Golden Globes and which now seems a shoe-in to win an Oscar or four, as compared and contrasted with, say, the humorless, depressing, dry-as-death Samuel Alito Supreme Court nomination. Oh yes, we have a match. Do you see it?

Look closer. On the one hand, here is the astounding reach and power of this rare and striking little film, an emotional tinderbox of a movie that, in the wrong hands or with the wrong marketing or if it had been off pitch by just this much, could have very easily been trashed and quickly dismissed, would have hobbled the careers of two up-and-coming hunk actors, been mocked across the board and demonized by the religious right as revolting gay propaganda, the source of all ills, proof of the existence of the devil himself.

Of course, the latter is still happening (isn't it always?), but the amazing thing is, no one seems to care. The screech of the right's homophobes is being easily drowned out by the fact that this astonishing, pitch-perfect film is now considered a movie that, quite literally, changes minds. Shifts perceptions. That moves the human experiment forward and makes people truly think about sex and gender and love and not in the way that, say, "Pride & Prejudice" makes you think because that kind of thinking is merely sweet and harmless, whereas "Brokeback" slaps bigotry and intolerance upside its knobby little head and induces heated discussions of the film's dynamics and politics and ideas of love over a bottle of wine and some deep curious sighing.

That's one side. On the other hand, here we have this relentless neocon spiritual death wish, as evidenced by the imminent appointment of Samuel Alito to the Supreme Court, yet another dour white male judge who, by all evidence, will do everything in his power to keep America's spiritual, humanitarian and sexual progress -- you know, the exact kind of universal awareness illuminated by intensely intimate movies like "Brokeback" -- locked in the ironclad box of anti-women, anti-gay, power-über-alles conservative thinking for the next three decades or more.

Of course you may say: Oh please, this is just silly, no way is there a direct connection between Alito and "Brokeback." I mean come on, one's just a heartbreaking gay love story and one's a massive disheartening political maneuver and they simply have no direct correlation in this world as we know it and to draw a correlation is to, well, make stuff up.

To which I say: You are right, but only a little. Of course Alito is not about to be appointed to deflect "Brokeback"'s message per se, but rather, he is being installed in general reaction to, in attack on, in preparation for what "Brokeback" and its ilk represent. Which is, of course, the aforementioned awakening, the shift, the movement toward something new and different and open. Do you see?

This is the ever-present push-pull of the culture. This is how we stumble toward the light, gasping and bleeding and with painful rope burns on our wrists. After all, there is no progress forward -- intellectual, spiritual, sexual or otherwise -- without a concomitant blood-curdling scream from the power brokers and the religiously terrified to hold it all back. Change brings fear. Sexuality brings confusion. For every person who has his rigid homophobic ideology shattered by "Brokeback"'s emotional hammer, there is a confused neocon who redoubles his efforts to replant it.

But it doesn't matter. No matter the heat and bile of the resistance, no matter how brutish or sanctimonious the stranglehold of our leadership, no matter how many complaints about nipples or wailings about intelligent design or accusations of a "gay agenda," no matter how many uptight neocon judges they appoint, progress still manages to find the cracks, to slip through the holes, to seek the sun. Consciousness expands anyway. The river flows on. The awakening continues. It is always the way.

And the Bushes and the Cheneys and the Rumsfelds, the Gonzalezes and the James Dobsons and the Sam Alitos of the world, they can only stand at the base of that mountain of new awareness and pass their laws and beat their chests and scream their resistance as the mystics and the masters just smile that ageless, knowing smile and walk away.

I posted this because it provides an accurate view of the way liberals view conservatives not only on gay rights but a broad spectrum of ideas. Thoughts, anyone?

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

I had a friennd who WAS fired because he came out of the closet at work. He didn't even come out on his on volition, he was asked. The only difference is the closet he came out of was the conservitive closet. My friend was a quirky musition type who fit in the Seattle scene perfectly. The only difference was that he he proudly voted for Bush and Supported teh war in Iraq. After the 2004 election his boss and coworkers were fuming about the election how most of America were morons and had ruined the country. He remained silent finally a co-worker asked him in the presence of teh boss what he thought about it all and he said he was acctually happy that Bush had been re-elected. He was fired the next week. In the city of Seattle conservitives are a much more persecuted minority than homosexuals.

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Perhaps it's safe to say that persecution will always be around and that bosses are generally bastards. We can all find friends and aquaintances to try and refute each other, but that doesn't mean that Jim or your friend should have been fired. Liberal persecution against Conservatives does not justify Conservative persecution against Liberals.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Ok, WBAM, relative to our discussion here...what does that example have to do with anything?

That there's always somebody else worse off than the universal You? That one example you can cite guarantees than gays are FAR worse off in Seattle than Conservatives?

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
And the last movie to EARN an Oscar was Return of the King. They really will hand them out to just about anybody anymore.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Quote:

Captain Sammitch said:
And the last movie to EARN an Oscar was Return of the King. They really will hand them out to just about anybody anymore.

And this is the Media forum now?

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Ok, WBAM, relative to our discussion here...what does that example have to do with anything?

That there's always somebody else worse off than the universal You? That one example you can cite guarantees than gays are FAR worse off in Seattle than Conservatives?

No it was in responseto yo saying.

Quote:

You used the example of you possibly being fired as proof that you were in a special position to demand something on an emotional basis. I think something either "is" or "is not" the level of persecution someone endures doesn't make them any more right or any more wrong. Just last night while teh wife and I were out to dinner I had to listen to teh people in teh booth next to us discuss conserivitives as though they were inhuman. So what, no matter who you are or where you are, people will still be ass-holes, you can either deal with it or play the victim, but niether will change teh way things are. Unless you or my buddy want to trade jobs you're both gonna have to cope and you'll both be stronger for it.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Captain Sammitch said:

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Best deep thought thread in ages.

Steve T #225375 2006-01-30 6:01 PM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

Gay fetish: the infinite shelf life of homo- distraction

Katy McKy - Raw Story Columnist
Published: January 30, 2006

The sky isn't falling, but it's fraying. The ozone, that blanket of O3 between oblivion and us, dissolves when we spray fluorocarbons. The oceans rise. Divorce rates also rise, as more and more Americans, especially in the red states, emulate Britney Spear's matrimonial habits.

Then there's more. According to Sir James Lovelock, the original Gaian guy, the Earth is treating us like a virus, raising the temp to burn us off the global body. With every factory closing, we become more a nation of consumers and borrowers rather than producers and savers. And we're borrowing 2 trillion dollars to fund our Iraqi imperialism. Via that imperialism, we've cultivated a fresh crop of terrorists. We're running out of oil, but we're running high on gluttony. And so on.

And what worries the Right? Brokeback Mountain. And gay marriage.
Advertisement

As a college class exercise, a friend of mine recently interviewed a classmate.

My friend asked, "What don't you like about America?"

The 18-year old classmate said, "Off the record, gay people are taking over."

What has taken over is the discussion of gay people. Whereas I consider the civil rights of gay people to be fundamental to the American dream and a requisite for Constitutional integrity, I consider the Right's ad nauseam appetite for gay-themed diatribes to be a deadly diversion.

Janet Parshall, the talk show host, said on the January 17th edition of Larry King Live, "After all, I think what we're witnessing, Larry, is the homosexualizing of America."

What most recently wadded up Parshall's panties and shoved them so far up her rectum that it'll take a proctologist to remove them is Brokeback Mountain. It's a semi-mainstream movie and it has Parshall squawking that the sky is falling. Well, Ms. Parshall, the sky is fraying. The oceans are rising. So is the temp. And what worries you? Make-believe amour between a couple comely sheepherders?

The hunky horror, the hunky horror.

Parshall and others assert that homosexuality is sin. Thus, if one is straight and frames homosexuality as sin, it's the sweetest sin, for it's not one's sin. This gives homosexuality an infinite shelf life. It's never grows stale, for whereas it demands change of others, it requires no personal change. No sacrifice. So long as one is straight and heterosexuality demarcates purity, one is permanently pure.

Thus, such Right-thinking straight people can use homosexuality as their fetish object for moral masturbation. It would be merely creepy if it didn't keep the Right from the work of weaning ourselves off oil, decreasing the production of gases that accelerate global warming, equalizing education, delivering healthcare to all children, and so on.

On a personal level, the gay moral fetish distracts from Biblical adherence. As long as Rush Limbaugh rants about queer folk, he's distracted from returning to his first wife, as the Bible demands. As long as Parshall squawks about Brokeback Mountain, she won't have to forsake her family and her fortune, as the Bible also demands.

Perhaps the homophobe should pay gay people for their perpetual diversion. One pays a cable provider for the television shows that distract us from the work of our time and the deprivations of the future, for as oil prices, the oceans, and the temperature rise and rise, quality of life will fall and fall. So, shouldn't the homophobes of the Right pay gay folks for distracting them from their patriotic duties and their Christian duties, since those duties are hard and their distraction means that their children and grandchildren will bear the brunt of massive debt and monstrous drought?

Like the 18-year old who believes that what's wrong with America is that "gay people are taking over," when you can hold back your rising worries with a sturdy dyke, life is good. For now.

But gay people do more than distract. They pander to our inveterate desire for an other. Queer people are the divine other, for homo-bigots believe that they have Biblical clearance to hate.

"Yes, uh, Flight 2002," they imagine God saying, "you have clearance to land on the civil rights of your fellow homosexual citizens. On final approach, you might run into some Constitutional interference, but tune that out and when you taxi over to the tarmac, we'll, uh, amend that Constitution."

The homo-fetish also serves an ancient purpose. It's no longer safe to publicly articulate racial hatred. But there remains a deep desire to define and elevate oneself by what one isn't. With God's green light, the fundy Right references gays everyday. However, with only 3 gay references in the Bible, and a hundred times that number of warnings against wealth, the arithmetic suggests that the real work of being a Christian is casting off wealth. Jesus told one story about a man going to Hell. That man was a rich man, a man who lived on the sweet side of a wall while a poor man suffered on the other.

But walking away from wealth would be Hell on Earth for those that love manna more than their fellow man.

So, thank God for gay folks.

Raw Story

Fair play!
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
Quote:

The sky isn't falling, but it's fraying. The ozone, that blanket of O3 between oblivion and us, dissolves when we spray fluorocarbons. The oceans rise. Divorce rates also rise, as more and more Americans, especially in the red states, emulate Britney Spear's matrimonial habits.

Then there's more. According to Sir James Lovelock, the original Gaian guy, the Earth is treating us like a virus, raising the temp to burn us off the global body. With every factory closing, we become more a nation of consumers and borrowers rather than producers and savers. And we're borrowing 2 trillion dollars to fund our Iraqi imperialism. Via that imperialism, we've cultivated a fresh crop of terrorists. We're running out of oil, but we're running high on gluttony. And so on.

Advertisement

What has taken over is the discussion of gay people. Whereas I consider the civil rights of gay people to be fundamental to the American dream and a requisite for Constitutional integrity, I consider the Right's ad nauseam appetite for gay-themed diatribes to be a deadly diversion.

Janet Parshall, the talk show host, said on the January 17th edition of Larry King Live, "After all, I think what we're witnessing, Larry, is the homosexualizing of America."

What most recently wadded up Parshall's panties and shoved them so far up her rectum that it'll take a proctologist to remove them is Brokeback Mountain. It's a semi-mainstream movie and it has Parshall squawking that the sky is falling. Well, Ms. Parshall, the sky is fraying. The oceans are rising. So is the temp. And what worries you? Make-believe amour between a couple comely sheepherders?

Parshall and others assert that homosexuality is sin. Thus, if one is straight and frames homosexuality as sin, it's the sweetest sin, for it's not one's sin. This gives homosexuality an infinite shelf life. It's never grows stale, for whereas it demands change of others, it requires no personal change. No sacrifice. So long as one is straight and heterosexuality demarcates purity, one is permanently pure.

Thus, such Right-thinking straight people can use homosexuality as their fetish object for moral masturbation. It would be merely creepy if it didn't keep the Right from the work of weaning ourselves off oil, decreasing the production of gases that accelerate global warming, equalizing education, delivering healthcare to all children, and so on.

On a personal level, the gay moral fetish distracts from Biblical adherence. As long as Rush Limbaugh rants about queer folk, he's distracted from returning to his first wife, as the Bible demands. As long as Parshall squawks about Brokeback Mountain, she won't have to forsake her family and her fortune, as the Bible also demands.

Perhaps the homophobe should pay gay people for their perpetual diversion. One pays a cable provider for the television shows that distract us from the work of our time and the deprivations of the future, for as oil prices, the oceans, and the temperature rise and rise, quality of life will fall and fall. So, shouldn't the homophobes of the Right pay gay folks for distracting them from their patriotic duties and their Christian duties, since those duties are hard and their distraction means that their children and grandchildren will bear the brunt of massive debt and monstrous drought?

Like the 18-year old who believes that what's wrong with America is that "gay people are taking over," when you can hold back your rising worries with a sturdy dyke, life is good. For now.

But gay people do more than distract. They pander to our inveterate desire for an other. Queer people are the divine other, for homo-bigots believe that they have Biblical clearance to hate.

"Yes, uh, Flight 2002," they imagine God saying, "you have clearance to land on the civil rights of your fellow homosexual citizens. On final approach, you might run into some Constitutional interference, but tune that out and when you taxi over to the tarmac, we'll, uh, amend that Constitution."

The homo-fetish also serves an ancient purpose. It's no longer safe to publicly articulate racial hatred. But there remains a deep desire to define and elevate oneself by what one isn't. With God's green light, the fundy Right references gays everyday. However, with only 3 gay references in the Bible, and a hundred times that number of warnings against wealth, the arithmetic suggests that the real work of being a Christian is casting off wealth. Jesus told one story about a man going to Hell. That man was a rich man, a man who lived on the sweet side of a wall while a poor man suffered on the other.

But walking away from wealth would be Hell on Earth for those that love manna more than their fellow man.

Raw Story

Well written story. Hit the nail on the head.

Bow ties are coool.
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:

It caught my eye after the whole polygamy thing. I can't know the true motivations of those trying to pin polygamy to homosexuality but suspect for some it was fun & even made themselves feel a bit better getting to sit in the judges chair.

Fair play!
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
Quote:

Advertisement

Raw Story

The ideal woman is a blind slut that owns a liquer store. Which 2 does Sneaky Bunny have covered?

magicjay38 #225379 2006-02-07 12:24 AM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Quote:

ABC News
States Eye Picketing at Soldiers' Funerals
States Rush to Stop Fundamentalists From Picketing U.S. Soldiers' Funerals

By CARRIE SPENCER GHOSE
COLUMBUS, Ohio Feb 6, 2006 (AP)— States are rushing to limit when and where people may protest at funerals all because of a small fundamentalist Kansas church whose members picket soldiers' burials, arguing that Americans are dying for a country that harbors homosexuals.
During the 1990s, the Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kan., went around picketing the funerals of AIDS victims with protest signs that read, "God Hates Fags." But politicians began paying more attention recently when church members started showing up at the burials of soldiers and Marines killed in Afghanistan and Iraq.
Legislation is being considered in at least 14 states, and several of the bills moving quickly, with backing from legislative leaders and governors.
If they pass, the bills could set up a clash between privacy and free speech rights, and court challenges are almost certain.

ABC News

Fair play!
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

Matter-eater Man said:
Quote:

ABC News
States Eye Picketing at Soldiers' Funerals
States Rush to Stop Fundamentalists From Picketing U.S. Soldiers' Funerals

By CARRIE SPENCER GHOSE
COLUMBUS, Ohio Feb 6, 2006 (AP)— States are rushing to limit when and where people may protest at funerals all because of a small fundamentalist Kansas church whose members picket soldiers' burials, arguing that Americans are dying for a country that harbors homosexuals.
During the 1990s, the Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kan., went around picketing the funerals of AIDS victims with protest signs that read, "God Hates Fags." But politicians began paying more attention recently when church members started showing up at the burials of soldiers and Marines killed in Afghanistan and Iraq.
Legislation is being considered in at least 14 states, and several of the bills moving quickly, with backing from legislative leaders and governors.
If they pass, the bills could set up a clash between privacy and free speech rights, and court challenges are almost certain.

ABC News

I think these people are the slime of the USA. I can't understand there thinking at all. But they have the right to say it and I'll defend their rights. It's no different than Nazis in Skokie, IL.

magicjay38 #225381 2006-02-07 6:43 AM
graemlin protector
6000+ posts
graemlin protector
6000+ posts
Quote:

magicjay38 said:

I think these people are the slime of the USA. I can't understand there thinking at all. But they have the right to say it and I'll defend their rights. It's no different than Nazis in Skokie, IL.

it shows a lack of class, but then, what do you do, limit their free speech. and in doing so allow them to intrude on a private moment of rememberance?

big_pimp_tim #225382 2006-02-07 2:45 PM
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

big_pimp_tim said:
Quote:

magicjay38 said:

it shows a lack of class, but then, what do you do, limit their free speech. and in doing so allow them to intrude on a private moment of rememberance?

I think you could use trespassing statutes to deny them access to cemetary grounds. On the streets and sidewalks they're on their own. Of course, the cops could declare an unlawful assembly.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Lesbians seeking first gay 'divorce' after three months

A lesbian couple who could become the first to divorce after "marrying" just three months ago were warned by lawyers yesterday that they may have a long wait.

Liz King, 40, and Daphne Ligthard, 36, registered their civil partnership in Ashford, Kent, on Feb 11 before sharing a honeymoon in Amsterdam.

But the relationship soured after Miss Ligthard accused Miss King of seeing another woman who had been a guest at their "wedding". The couple are now splitting up and face the prospect of dividing their joint assets.

Lawyers said that, under the Civil Partnerships Act that came into force in December, the couple could not terminate their partnership until it had been in existence for at least a year.

Moreover, in contrast to marriage, adultery was not recognised as grounds for ending a civil partnership, though unreasonable behaviour could be cited.

Mark Harper, a divorce specialist with the London law firm Withers, said that the dissolution of a partnership was almost exactly the same as any other divorce.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:

Thank Jesus that we have someone in the white house who isn't afraid to openly discriminate. Who ever said the constitution was meant for freedom?
Washington and Jefferson were just practical jokers. All that freedom and pursuit of happiness stuff was a joke.
But they were serious about the bear arms.

How many gay marriages were occuring in 1776?

Anyone? Anyone?

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:

Wow, so now we can insult black people if they object to the comparison of the ski thier born w/ to the chosen behavior of others. Nice.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Oh I forgot all about the President trying to get his base riled up for the upcoming election. How's that working for you conservative types?

Fair play!
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:

Wow, so now we can insult black people if they object to the comparison of the ski thier born w/ to the chosen behavior of others. Nice.

actually the idea of whether its a chosen lifestyle may be somewhat offensive to the gay posters (and moderators) here. And yes, you can insult a group who fought for their civil rights and then turned their back on the civil rights of others. That's called hypocrisy (or hippo-crazssy to you).

Bow ties are coool.
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

wannabuyamonkey said:

I rarely see black people on the slopes. Not in Tahoe, not in Colorado, Not in Mammoth Lakes. Maybe it's because there are no slopes in the South?

And the ski's they're born with???? C'mon, WBAM short skis for adults have been out of fashion for years. Half the sport is about looking cool, ya know?

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." John Stuart Mill America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between. Oscar Wilde He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

r3x29yz4a said:

Thank Jesus that we have someone in the white house who isn't afraid to openly discriminate. Who ever said the constitution was meant for freedom?
Washington and Jefferson were just practical jokers. All that freedom and pursuit of happiness stuff was a joke.

But they were serious about the bear arms.

How many gay marriages were occuring in 1776?

Anyone? Anyone?

Just a few less than happen today in this shit hole of a country!

Glad I've got a marrriage offer from a tranny girl in Vancouver. I can leave the USA but still visit WBAM!

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." John Stuart Mill America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between. Oscar Wilde He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead.
PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Black People don't ski....it's too expensive.

Page 36 of 50 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 49 50

Link Copied to Clipboard