Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 23 of 94 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 93 94
Middle Nameless
25+ posts
Middle Nameless
25+ posts
I'd like to take this moment to try and bring a end to the fighting on this board. The politics of division are tearing us a part.

Let us rally around words of peace and virtue. Here are some soothing words from the pastor of Trinity United Church of Christ, my church Rev. Jeremiah A. Wright, Jr.

Quote:
“Racism is how this country was founded and how this country is still run!...We [in the U.S.] believe in white supremacy and black inferiority and believe it more than we believe in God.”

Quote:
“In the 21st century, white America got a wake-up call after 9/11/01, White America and the western world came to realize that people of color had not gone away, faded into the woodwork or just ‘disappeared’ as the Great White West kept on its merry way of ignoring black concerns. The Israelis have illegally occupied Palestinian territories for over 40 years now, divestment has now hit the table again as a strategy to wake the business community and wake up Americans concerning the injustice and the racism under which the Palestinians have lived because of Zionism.”

I hope that we can somehow come together as I do with this man in church each Sunday to better understand how to battle the politics of division.

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
concentration camps.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
for the record i think it's racist to quote the reverend.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
G-man posted this in the religion forum but since it's Obama spiritual advisor it deserves a post here as well...
 Quote:
ABC: Is former Reverend a liability for Obama?
David Edwards and Nick Juliano
Published: Thursday March 13, 2008

Sen. Barack Obama's former preacher has delivered some controversial sermons in which he said the US invited the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, and he has said African Americans should sing "God damn America" instead of God bless America.

ABC News has reviewed dozens of the Rev. Jeremiah Wright's sermons, and the network aired some of his most inflammatory rhetoric in a segment Thursday on Good Morning America. Wright was Obama's pastor at Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago for the last two decades, until his retirement earlier this year.

The Democratic presidential candidate credited Wright for the title of his book, "The Audacity of Hope," and Wright performed Obama's marriage and baptized his two daughters. But Obama has described the preacher as "like an old uncle who says things I don't always agree with."

The latest statements unearthed by ABC, which reviewed videos of the sermons the church offers for sale, could cause more headaches for Obama during a campaign in which supporters' comments have increasingly drawn scrutiny.

"The government gives them the drugs, builds bigger prisons, passes a three-strike law and then wants us to sing 'God Bless America.' No, no, no, God damn America, that's in the Bible for killing innocent people," Wright said in a 2003 sermon. "God damn America for treating our citizens as less than human. God damn America for as long as she acts like she is God and she is supreme."

It's unclear whether Obama was in the audience when Wright gave that sermon, but he has previously told the New York Times that he did not attend a service in which Wright implied that the US invited the 9/11 attacks.

"We bombed Hiroshima, we bombed Nagasaki, and we nuked far more than the thousands in New York and the Pentagon, and we never batted an eye," Rev. Wright said in a sermon on Sept. 16, 2001.

"We have supported state terrorism against the Palestinians and black South Africans," Wright said, "and now we are indignant because the stuff we have done overseas is now brought right back to our own front yards. America's chickens are coming home to roost."

Obama religious adviser Shaun Casey appeared on Good Morning America to defend Obama saying he had already repudiated Wright's controversial remarks. Casey said other candidates were not getting the same scrutiny.

"I mean, it's interesting to me you haven't vetted Hillary Clinton's pastor's sermons, you haven't vetted President Bush's pastor's sermons," he said. "You haven't vetted John McCain's pastor's sermons. So, you're not holding them to that standard, which I think is very interesting."

RAW
This isn't something you just quietly dissagree with & expect to win a general election.

Fair play!
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Doesn't this, therefore, effectively disqualify Obama as a VP also? Otherwise, isn't Hillary endorsing this sort of rhetoric from the crazy reverend?

some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
I seem to recall Falwell and a few other reverends saying the same thing about 9/11.

Not that it shouldn't be denounced, but I don't recall anyone on the right caring too much when it's some conservative christian blaming the gays for 9/11 or hurricanes.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Actually, people on the left and right, including President Bush, denounced Falwell and Robertson for those 9/11 remarks and they promptly apologized.

Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
So, then, why would this disqualify Obama for anything if he's already denounced it.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
But he didn't reject it.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
Doesn't this, therefore, effectively disqualify Obama as a VP also? Otherwise, isn't Hillary endorsing this sort of rhetoric from the crazy reverend?

Originally Posted By: Jason E. Perkins
So, then, why would this disqualify Obama for anything if he's already denounced it.

My point was that MEM seemed to think it was a problem for Obama. I was asking MEM why, if that were the case, it didn't also disqualify him as Hillary's VP. I was pointing out the strange, if not demeaning, logic that Hillary and her supporters seem to be using: that argues Obama is unqualified and/or dangerous but would be a great VP.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts

This is Obama's "spiritual leader", the whole crux for his supposed Christianity. sounds to me like this pastor is a closet muslim too.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts

My point was that MEM seemed to think it was a problem for Obama. I was asking MEM why, if that were the case, it didn't also disqualify him as Hillary's VP. I was pointing out the strange, if not demeaning, logic that Hillary and her supporters seem to be using: that argues Obama is unqualified and/or dangerous but would be a great VP.

Who's to say the VP offer was made knowing his guy said these things? Your assuming much to play gotcha I think.

First off does anyone think this falls in the positive or even neutral category? I don't think it's a stretch to say this "damn America talk" appeals to many voters but please enlighten me if I'm missing something.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
It wasn't really an effort to play "gotcha," MEM, at least against you. I was just observing that it tends to show that Hillary's talk of a "unity ticket" is unlikely to result in an actual shared ticket.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
It wasn't really an effort to play "gotcha," MEM, at least against you. I was just observing that it tends to show that Hillary's talk of a "unity ticket" is unlikely to result in an actual shared ticket.

So then you feel this does hurt Obama so much that he couldn't win the general & not even make it as a VP on a unity ticket?

Fair play!
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
here whomod, have a field day with this http://www.boydgraves.com/

Middle Nameless
25+ posts
Middle Nameless
25+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Barack Hussein Obama
I'd like to take this moment to try and bring a end to the fighting on this board. The politics of division are tearing us a part.

Let us rally around words of peace and virtue. Here are some soothing words from the pastor of Trinity United Church of Christ, my church Rev. Jeremiah A. Wright, Jr.

Quote:
“Racism is how this country was founded and how this country is still run!...We [in the U.S.] believe in white supremacy and black inferiority and believe it more than we believe in God.”

Quote:
“In the 21st century, white America got a wake-up call after 9/11/01, White America and the western world came to realize that people of color had not gone away, faded into the woodwork or just ‘disappeared’ as the Great White West kept on its merry way of ignoring black concerns. The Israelis have illegally occupied Palestinian territories for over 40 years now, divestment has now hit the table again as a strategy to wake the business community and wake up Americans concerning the injustice and the racism under which the Palestinians have lived because of Zionism.”

I hope that we can somehow come together as I do with this man in church each Sunday to better understand how to battle the politics of division.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080314/ap_o...ZCXxswSSG2s0NUE

Quote:
"I have never heard an anti-Semitic (remark) made inside of our church. I have never heard anything that would suggest anti-semitism on the part of the pastor,"

I'd like to explain my statement. I'm sure to many the Reverend's statements are anti-semantic. But I ask you if you want to get a long with one another to approach his words as I have.

Take both index fingers. Stick them in your ears. Slowly swivel your head back and forth. Then in a lyrical tone repeat these words, "La La La, I can't hear you. La La La". When my spiritual leader is done condoning 9-11, and the extinction of jews, take your fingers out of your ears, and repeat after me. "What anti-semitic remarks?"

few posts
few posts
Daddy said everyone should vote for Obama because we've held back the blacks for so long. He said it would make up for slavery and make America stronger.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Rolling Stone Magazine endorses Barak Obama:

Quote:
A New Hope

JANN S. WENNER

The tides of history are rising higher and faster these days. Read them right and ride them, or be crushed. And then along comes Barack Obama, with the kinds of gifts that appear in politics but once every few generations. There is a sense of dignity, even majesty, about him, and underneath that ease lies a resolute discipline. It's not just that he is eloquent — with that ability to speak both to you and to speak for you — it's that he has a quality of thinking and intellectual and emotional honesty that is extraordinary.

I first learned of Barack Obama from a man who was at the highest level of George W. Bush's political organization through two presidential campaigns. He described the first-term senator from Illinois as "a walking hope machine" and told me that he would not work for any Republican candidate in 2008 if Obama was nominated. He challenged me to read Obama's autobiography, Dreams From My Father.

The book was a revelation. Here was a man whose honesty about himself and understanding of the human condition are both deep and compassionate. Born to a white mother and an African father, he was raised in multiracial Hawaii and for several years in Indonesia. He drifted through some druggy teenage years — no apologies! — before emerging as a star at Harvard Law School. He chose to work as a community organizer in the projects of Chicago rather than join the wealthy insider world of corporate law. And as a young adult, he searched, in the distant villages of Kenya, for the father and family he never knew.

As I read all this, so elegantly written, my mind kept rolling over: Might it be possible? Is there some fate by which we could have this man as president of the United States?

Throughout the primaries, and during a visit he paid to our offices, we have come to know Barack Obama, his toughness and his grace. He would not be intimidated, and he declined to back down, when Senator Clinton called him "frankly, naive" for his willingness to meet leaders of hostile nations. When one of her top campaign officials tried to smear him for his earlier drug use, he did not equivocate or backtrack. On the matter of experience and capability, he has run an impressive, nearly flawless campaign — one that whupped America's most hard-boiled political infighters. Indeed, Obama was far more prepared to run a presidential campaign — from Day One — than Senator Clinton. And at no point did he go negative with personal attacks or character assassination; as much as they might have been justified, they didn't even seem tempting to him.

Obama has emerged by displaying precisely the kind of character and judgment we need in a president: renouncing the politics of fear, speaking frankly on the most pressing issues facing the country and sticking to his principles. He recognizes that running for president is an opportunity to inspire an entire nation.

All this was made clearer by the contrast with Hillary Clinton, a capable and personable senator who has run the kind of campaign that reminds us of what makes us so discouraged about our politics. Her campaign certainly proved her experience didn't count for much: She was a bad manager and a bad strategist who naturally and easily engaged in the politics of distraction, trivialization and personal attack. She never convinced us that her vote for the war in Iraq was anything other than a strategic political calculation that placed her presidential ambitions above the horrifying consequences of a war. Her calibrated course corrections over the past three years were painful. Like John Kerry — who also voted for the war while planning a presidential run — it helped cost her that goal.

Although Obama declined to attack her personally for her vote for the war in Iraq, he did call it, devastatingly enough, a clear demonstration of her so-called experience and "judgment." He has also spoken forcefully about the need to break the grip of lobbyists — at a time when Clinton is the largest recipient of drug-company donations of anyone in Congress. Clinton could not address this issue at all, and neither will John McCain, who is equally a player in Washington's lobbyist culture.

Obama also denounced the Republican campaign of fear. Early in the campaign, John Edwards took the lead, calling the War on Terror a campaign slogan, not a policy. Obama rejected the subtle imagery of false patriotism by not wearing a flag pin in his lapel, and he dismissed the broader notion that the Democratic Party had to find a way to buy into this entire load of fear-mongering War on Terror bullshit — to out-Republican the Republicans — and thus become, in his description of Hillary Clinton's macho posturing on foreign policy, little more than "Bush-Cheney lite."

The similarities between John Kennedy and Barack Obama come to mind easily: the youth, the magnetism, the natural grace, the eloquence, the wit, the intelligence, the hope of a new generation.

But it might be more to the point to view Obama as Lincolnesque in his own origins, his sobriety and what history now demands.

We have a deeply divided nation, driven apart by economic policies that have deliberately created the largest income disparities in our history, with stunning tax breaks for the wealthiest and subsidies for giant industries. The income of the average citizen is stagnant, and his quality of life continues to slowly erode from inflation.

We are embittered and hobbled by the unnecessary and failed war in Iraq. We have been worn down by long years of fear- and hate-filled political strategies, assaults on constitutional freedoms, and levels of greed and cynicism, that — once seen for what they are — no people of moral values or ethics can tolerate.

A new president must heal these divides, must at long last face the hypocrisy and inequity of unprecedented government handouts to oil giants, hedge-fund barons, agriculture combines and drug companies. At the same time, the new president must transform our lethal energy economy — replacing oil and coal and the ethanol fraud with green alternatives and strict rain-forest preservation and tough international standards — before the planet becomes inhospitable for most human life. Although Obama has been slow to address global warming, I feel confident that his intelligence and morality will lead him clearly on this issue.

We need to recover the spiritual and moral direction that should describe our country and ourselves. We see this in Obama, and we see the promise he represents to bring factions together, to achieve again the unity that drives great change and faces difficult, and inconvenient, truths and peril.

We need to send a message to ourselves and to the world that we truly do stand for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. And in electing an African-American, we also profoundly renounce an ugliness and violence in our national character that have been further stoked by our president in these last eight years.

Like Abraham Lincoln, Barack Obama challenges America to rise up, to do what so many of us long to do: to summon "the better angels of our nature."

The current issue also has a fascinating feature on how Obama's campaign is being run.

Excerpt:

Quote:
The Machinery of Hope

Inside the grass-roots field operation of Barack Obama, who is transforming the way political campaigns are run

Over the past year, the Obama campaign has quietly worked to integrate the online technologies that fueled the rise of Howard Dean —as well as social-networking and video tools that didn't even exist in 2004 — with the kind of neighbor-to-neighbor movement-building that Obama learned as a young organizer on the streets of Chicago. "That's the magic of what they've done," says Simon Rosenberg, president of the Democratic think tank NDN. "They've married the incredibly powerful online community they built with real on-the-ground field operations. We've never seen anything like this before in American political history."

In the process, the Obama campaign has shattered the top-down, command-and-control, broadcast-TV model that has dominated American politics since the early 1960s. "They have taken the bottom-up campaign and absolutely perfected it," says Joe Trippi, who masterminded Dean's Internet campaign in 2004. "It's light-years ahead of where we were four years ago. They'll have 100,000 people in a state who have signed up on their Web site and put in their zip code. Now, paid organizers can get in touch with people at the precinct level and help them build the organization bottom up. That's never happened before. It never was possible before."

This is the same grass-roots effort that has trounced the Clinton campaign — a classic top-down operation run by high-paid consultants — in ten straight contests by an average of more than thirty points. It has evolved into the mother of all get-out-the-vote campaigns, one that has enabled Obama to collect more votes in Virginia and Wisconsin than all of the GOP candidates combined.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Well, then the election's over. From John Kerry, to Al Gore, to Gary Hart, all the way back to George McGovern, if there's one thing that Rolling Stone is known for, it's having its' finger on the pulse of the voting public.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Well the thing all those candidates you mention had is the Democratic nomination.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
So what are you saying, whomod? That the Democrat[ic] Party nomination is the kiss of death?

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
the greatest part is whomod has had so many sources disproved, he had to start quoting a entertainment magazine!

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
whomod is probably waiting with baited breath to find out if Obama gets the all-important "Toyfare" and "Wizard" endorsements next.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
 Quote:
Obama supporters pressed officials to keep Colbert off ballot

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) -- Two prominent supporters of Illinois Sen. Barack Obama's presidential campaign in South Carolina called state Democratic Party officials and urged them to keep funnyman Stephen Colbert's name off the primary ballot, according to party officials and Obama supporters.

The Obama campaign denied any connection to the phone calls.

"Democrats in South Carolina, including supporters of ours, had strong feelings on both sides of the ballot issue, and ultimately it was South Carolina Democrats who made this decision," said Obama's South Carolina communications director Kevin Griffis.

The South Carolina Democratic Party Executive Council voted last week 13-3 to block Colbert's bid for the Democratic primary.

To get on the ballot, a candidate had to demonstrate two requirements: that he or she was viable nationally and had spent time campaigning in the state.

The majority of voters said Colbert, host of Comedy Central's "The Colbert Report," did not meet the standard of national viability.

At least one member of the executive council, who requested anonymity, told CNN he felt "pressured" by former State Superintendent of Education Inez Tenenbaum to oppose placing Colbert on the ballot.

Tenenbaum, who ran for U.S. Senate in 2004, is a high-profile supporter of Obama. Her endorsement of Obama in April was touted by the campaign, and she has appeared at several Obama campaign events, including the opening of a campaign headquarters this summer.

"She said it wouldn't be fair to the other candidates. That he [Colbert] wouldn't be sincere. That he was only running in one state," said the executive council official.VideoWatch CNN's Peter Hamby's explain why Obama's supporters wanted Colbert off the ballot »

The official added: "The Obama people, they just didn't want him at all."

Tenenbaum disagreed with characterization that she lobbied to keep Colbert off the ballot for political reasons.

"I think lobbying was too strong a word," she said in an interview with CNN.

"I called them to see what they were thinking and if they had made up their mind. I am a volunteer in that campaign, and so I am not a staffer. And I thought it could have taken votes away from a lot of people."

Another Obama endorser who regularly appears at campaign events, state Rep. Bakari Sellers, also made phone calls to members of the party's executive council about Colbert, according to Sellers.

"I placed the calls as a concerned Democrat, realizing that we are a country in despair," Sellers told CNN. "It is not a time for games or to make a mockery of the process."

Given the lopsided vote of the executive council, it was unclear if the calls had significant bearing on Colbert's fate as a bona fide presidential candidate.

But the calls raise questions about the Obama supporters' motives, given their close ties to the campaign and the fact that Colbert and Obama both draw support from a similar demographic.

"A lot of Obama's support is among younger, college-educated folks, and a lot of Colbert's watchers are younger, college-educated folks," said Scott Huffmon, a political scientist at Winthrop University.

"I understand that Obama might potentially lose some voters," said Huffmon, who also noted that having Colbert on the ballot would likely bring in new primary voters rather than take them from other candidates. "But in a race where every vote counts it's a valid concern."

A

Tenenbaum said her quarrel with having Colbert's name on the ballot was pragmatic rather than political. In deciding which candidates to allow in the primary, the state Democratic Party also had to consider that for every name on the ballot, they would have to pay $20,000 to the state election commission.

"The whole thing is just the money," said Tenenbaum, who said she is fundraising for the party. "He did not meet the criteria. ... It's all in fun and let's just leave it at that."

The three members of the executive council who voted in favor of putting Colbert on the ballot were Charles Hamby, former chairman of the Oconee County Democratic Party; state Rep. Gilda Cobb-Hunter of Orangeburg; and Lumus Byrd.

The Columbia-based lawyer who represented Colbert in his bid to be placed on the ballot, Dwight Drake, is a supporter of Sen. Hillary Clinton, although Drake has told CNN in the past he was initially contacted by Colbert's surrogates to assist in the comedian's bid.

As for Colbert, he issued a statement late Monday declaring that his campaign is officially over.

"I am shocked and saddened by the South Carolina Democratic Executive Council's 13-to-3 vote to keep me off their presidential primary ballot," Colbert said. "Although I lost by the slimmest margin in presidential election history (only 10 votes) I have chosen not to put the country through another agonizing Supreme Court battle. It is time for this nation to heal.

"I want say to my supporters, this is not over. While I may accept the decision of the Council, the fight goes on! The dream endures! And I am going off the air until I can talk about this without weeping."

I'm sorry but if this isnt proof Obama hates America I don't know what is.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Obama Slams Sermons: Obama 'strongly' condemns 'inflammatory and appalling' anti-U.S. sermons from controversial Chicago pastor.

He was so "appalled" that he kept going to the same church for twenty years. Way to show the courage of hope there, Obama.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
he already said he wasnt there those sundays, at the church he attended regularly.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
He was probably at the Mosque those Sundays.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Obama Slams Sermons: Obama 'strongly' condemns 'inflammatory and appalling' anti-U.S. sermons from controversial Chicago pastor.

He was so "appalled" that he kept going to the same church for twenty years. Way to show the courage of hope there, Obama.

How do Obama supporters feel about this? Is there a rationalization for this "condemnation" actually being authentic?

Fair play!
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
G-man posted this in the religion forum but since it's Obama spiritual advisor it deserves a post here as well...
 Quote:
ABC: Is former Reverend a liability for Obama?
David Edwards and Nick Juliano
Published: Thursday March 13, 2008

Sen. Barack Obama's former preacher has delivered some controversial sermons in which he said the US invited the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, and he has said African Americans should sing "God damn America" instead of God bless America.

ABC News has reviewed dozens of the Rev. Jeremiah Wright's sermons, and the network aired some of his most inflammatory rhetoric in a segment Thursday on Good Morning America. Wright was Obama's pastor at Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago for the last two decades, until his retirement earlier this year.

The Democratic presidential candidate credited Wright for the title of his book, "The Audacity of Hope," and Wright performed Obama's marriage and baptized his two daughters. But Obama has described the preacher as "like an old uncle who says things I don't always agree with."

The latest statements unearthed by ABC, which reviewed videos of the sermons the church offers for sale, could cause more headaches for Obama during a campaign in which supporters' comments have increasingly drawn scrutiny.

"The government gives them the drugs, builds bigger prisons, passes a three-strike law and then wants us to sing 'God Bless America.' No, no, no, God damn America, that's in the Bible for killing innocent people," Wright said in a 2003 sermon. "God damn America for treating our citizens as less than human. God damn America for as long as she acts like she is God and she is supreme."

It's unclear whether Obama was in the audience when Wright gave that sermon, but he has previously told the New York Times that he did not attend a service in which Wright implied that the US invited the 9/11 attacks.

"We bombed Hiroshima, we bombed Nagasaki, and we nuked far more than the thousands in New York and the Pentagon, and we never batted an eye," Rev. Wright said in a sermon on Sept. 16, 2001.

"We have supported state terrorism against the Palestinians and black South Africans," Wright said, "and now we are indignant because the stuff we have done overseas is now brought right back to our own front yards. America's chickens are coming home to roost."

Obama religious adviser Shaun Casey appeared on Good Morning America to defend Obama saying he had already repudiated Wright's controversial remarks. Casey said other candidates were not getting the same scrutiny.

"I mean, it's interesting to me you haven't vetted Hillary Clinton's pastor's sermons, you haven't vetted President Bush's pastor's sermons," he said. "You haven't vetted John McCain's pastor's sermons. So, you're not holding them to that standard, which I think is very interesting."

RAW
This isn't something you just quietly dissagree with & expect to win a general election.

Yeah, Obama disagrees with this Reverend's offensive anti-American remarks across two decades, right.

He just attended this pastor's church for 20 years, was married by this pastor, and had both his daughter's baptized by this pastor.

If I disagreed with a pastor's comments, I'd leave before the service ended, if I didn't loudly object in the middle of it, to material that offensive.
And I certainly wouldn't keep attending for 20 years after that.

I increasingly see Obama as a lying weasel, who props up a false image of being above investigation and political debate, who waffles on answering serious questions about his Illinois Senate voting record, who evades questions about his obvious 17-year relationship with the now-indicted Tony Rezko, who distances himself from anti-American remarks by his wife and his church pastor, and who egages various other political dodges to issues raised about his public record by Hillary Clinton.

Compared to Obama, Hillary is looking better and better.

If Obama were subject to real scrutiny by the media, he would have crashed and burned a long time ago.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: britneyspearsatemyshorts
the greatest part is whomod has had so many sources disproved, he had to start quoting a entertainment magazine!

name one.

Just cuz the doctor alleged that the Gretna AP article was fake isn't "many sources disproved" you retard. I myself posted several active links from newspapers that republished ap stories that don't show up at the AP site either.

So fuck you.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: whomod

Just cuz the doctor alleged that the Gretna AP article was fake isn't "many sources disproved" you retard. I myself posted several active links from newspapers that republished ap stories that don't show up at the AP site either.

So fuck you.

Once again, you show that you can't remember how things really happened. I never said the article was fake. I said that since I couldn't find the article at the AP website in their archives, that I had to be suspect about the claims in the article you quoted. And your further articles only further disproved your allegations.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
How so? They were the same story! the only fact I got wrong was that I initially said troops and not cops, troopers, state police deputies or whatever the hell they were. that was because at the time I wrote it, I was going on memory about something I read over 2 years ago. The point I was trying to make was that black residents were trapped in New Orleans and not there because they were too stupid or lazy to get out. My point wasn't about troops, it was about people being prevented from leaving by force. And that hasn't changed once in all of this.

The level of venom raised by all this though is astounding to me. The fact that cops stood at a bridge and stopped people from leaving doesn't offend you guys as much as me having gotten a detail about whether it was cops or troops? And could there have been white people among them? Probably a few. From everything I read on this though, it was mostly if not entirely a black crowd. And yeah, there are arguments that it was a public safety issue and not racism and all that. The 60 Minutes piece I posted addresses all those arguments nicely.

BTW. The AP sites archives are shit. I've checked several other AP stories from a few years ago even under advanced search with precise dates and info, they don't show up.

The only way they do appear to be valid and real is under a Nexis search.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
How are the two stories different?

The implication of the story you fabricated was that members of the U.S. military, as part of a sanctioned government policy, were trying to prevent African Americans from evacuating New Orleans.

The story you posted as "proof" of that, however, was about a small town police force, acting seemingly on its own with no official federal sanction whatsoever, against people of varying races.

Basically, other than the tie to Katrina, the only thing the two stories have in common is a bridge. In which case, you might as well post the lyrics to Simon and Garfunkel's "Feelin' Groovy" and call THAT proof.

In fact, let me save you the trouble and go one better. Here's a YOUTUBE video of that song, in which people trying to cross a bridge are told "Slow down..."

My god. An actual piece of video footage. Can there BE higher proof than that?

5000+ posts
5000+ posts

The implication of the story you fabricated was that members of the U.S. military, as part of a sanctioned government policy, were trying to prevent African Americans from evacuating New Orleans.

The story you posted as "proof" of that, however, was about a small town police force, acting seemingly on its own with no official federal sanction whatsoever, against people of varying races.

Wow! You read all that into it? That's your tough cookies because you there are using very precise language where I didn't, since as I said above, that wasn't my point. My point was addressing an asinine assertion that blacks were too stupid or lazy to save themselves.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
an assertion that I don't see anyone here challenging much.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

name one.

So fuck you.

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."

-- Gandhi

BSAMS wins. Again.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
an assertion that I don't see anyone here challenging much.

Basically, other than the tie to Katrina, the only thing the two stories have in common is a bridge. In which case, you might as well post the lyrics to Simon and Garfunkel's "Feelin' Groovy" and call THAT proof.

In fact, let me save you the trouble and go one better. Here's a YOUTUBE video of that song, in which people trying to cross a bridge are told "Slow down..."

My god. An actual piece of video footage. Can there BE higher proof than that?

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."

-- Gandhi

G-man wins. Again.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
How so? They were the same story! the only fact I got wrong was that I initially said troops and not cops, troopers, state police deputies or whatever the hell they were. that was because at the time I wrote it, I was going on memory about something I read over 2 years ago. The point I was trying to make was that black residents were trapped in New Orleans and not there because they were too stupid or lazy to get out. My point wasn't about troops, it was about people being prevented from leaving by force. And that hasn't changed once in all of this.

The level of venom raised by all this though is astounding to me. The fact that cops stood at a bridge and stopped people from leaving doesn't offend you guys as much as me having gotten a detail about whether it was cops or troops? And could there have been white people among them? Probably a few. From everything I read on this though, it was mostly if not entirely a black crowd. And yeah, there are arguments that it was a public safety issue and not racism and all that. The 60 Minutes piece I posted addresses all those arguments nicely.

BTW. The AP sites archives are shit. I've checked several other AP stories from a few years ago even under advanced search with precise dates and info, they don't show up.

The only way they do appear to be valid and real is under a Nexis search.

All your cries of evil racism aren't supported by your own articles. All those articles show is further incompetence by Ray Nagin and the other New Orleans officials by sending unescorted civilians across dangerous, post-Katrina New Orleans with false promises of buses that WEREN'T THERE just to get them out of their jurisdiction. I've already said that those towns' reactions were drastic, but you probably had your head too far up your ass to read that. My position is that nothing that you've posted is proof of racism. You, and many who liked to play the race card during and after Katrina, seem to forget that it was terrible event that made life hard on everyone. But, if I remember correctly, you're the asshole who first tried to politicize Katrina on this board to begin with.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor

All your cries of evil racism aren't supported by your own articles. All those articles show is further incompetence by Ray Nagin and the other New Orleans officials by sending unescorted civilians across dangerous, post-Katrina New Orleans with false promises of buses that WEREN'T THERE just to get them out of their jurisdiction. I've already said that those towns' reactions were drastic, but you probably had your head too far up your ass to read that. My position is that nothing that you've posted is proof of racism. You, and many who liked to play the race card during and after Katrina, seem to forget that it was terrible event that made life hard on everyone. But, if I remember correctly, you're the asshole who first tried to politicize Katrina on this board to begin with.

So you think people trying to leave the death and water of New Orleans was a matter of jurisdictional buck passing??

Incredible.

And I'm not the "asshole" who politicized Katrina. The American people did that. And they pretty much finished finding who to blame, thank you very much. The fact that you don't get that is apparent and it probably explains why people like you scratch their heads and wonder why America left you guys.

Of course it's political. When faced with overwhelming catastrophe, people expect and competent and speedy response. From the Government. Government Helping them, not being an impediment to reaching safe ground on some bullshit half assed assertion that your resources are stretched thin as well. Stretched thin BUT on safer ground. And if you're mad at me for the racial overtones. again, it's not just me. That's pretty much the opinion out there except in right wing land where racism is something to be scoffed at and attacked.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts

name one.

So fuck you.

you pointed to a different story, about cops. you said that the government ordered troops. and please, no cursing, it's very liberal of you.

Page 23 of 94 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 93 94

Link Copied to Clipboard