A sad day for America, in my opinion.

No doubt NY Republicans did it to not alienate political support. If states individually want gay marriage, or abortion, or whatever, I think that is the people of that state's right. And those who don't like it can move to a state that shares their legal opinion.
But needless to say, abortion was shoved down everyone's throat in 1973, and gay activists have voiced their intent to similarly leverage gay marriage. I have less of a problem with gay marriage if at some point it is voted for by a majority, rather than forced on the people by elites, and conversely (like border security and Proposition 8) where a handful of elites overturn the majority choice of millions of voters, when voting doesn't go the way liberals want.
That is tyranny, not democracy.

I only oppose gay marriage because I see it as
1) not marriage (man-woman) as clearly defined for 6000 years by both religious and secular law,
2) the push for gay marriage shows every evidence --as voiced by the ACLU/gay community-- of being a legal beachhead to impose gay marriage on those who have a religious or personal objection to it
3) can also be used to make any religious mention of homosexuality "hate speech" and a crime punishable by fines or imprisonment.

My argument has not changed. The same evidence I cited in years prior is still there, about the stated goals of gays and liberals to use this as a weapon against Constitutionally protected religious freedom.
Gays already have rights.
They already have civil union, can live and work without persecution.

This is about gays and progressives building the momentum to stomp on others' rights and freedoms.