Well, in the specific case we're discussing of the New York state legislature...

Originally Posted By: article
In the end, 29 of 30 Democrats voted in favor of the bill, and four of 32 Republicans voted yes.

...it was legislative representatives, not the actual people, and the hidden backroom negotiations that led to just 4 Republicans approving to legalize gay marriage.

Again, if it was the clear will of the people, I wouldn't have a problem with it, I wouldn't question it.
But it was a narrow margin of victory, and there is some question whether that is truly the will of the people, or just a few Republicans (and/or Democrats) caving in as part of some sleazy compromise, against the will of the people.

I don't know why they couldn't just do it on a popular ballot, either back a few months ago in the Nov 2010 election, or in the upcoming Nov 2012 election, so that it would have been the clear will of New York voters, as opposed to arguably being just the whim or compromise of a few elite legislators, that arguably flies in the face of what voters really want.

Again, it really bugs me that nationwide, liberal judges shoot down clear majority rulings in favor of more conservative mandates, such as Proposition 8 and Proposition 187, whereas a liberal vote like gay marriage in New York state is accepted as legitimate and gospel truth.