Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
So when Bush, Boehner, & Cantor expanded medicare and didn't pay for it (or actually anything), this was ok how? Is there any standard besides republican=good, democrat=bad?

If you recall, I didn't support the big-government expansions under George W.'s presidency, and there are many posts here during those years to back that up.
G-man also opposed many of Bush's policies.

As I've quoted many times, Pat Buchanan wrote a whole book (released Oct 2004) about where Reagan Conservative Republicans got off the train from the Republican leadership of the Bush years, and foretold it would hurt the Republican brand in the long term. As it certainly did in the 2006 and 2008 elections.

So please don't disingenuously say we didn't voice dissent for these aspects of George W. Bush's "big government" Republican policies. We most certainly DID object.

But don't heap all the blame on Republicans. As I've pointed out repeatedly, The Democrats were eager and willing participants in every one of these big-government policies, passed with overwheming bipartisan support, including the Part D Presription Drug Plan, S-CHIP, and No Child Left Behind, along with other big-ticket domestic spending.
Democrats also overwhelmingly supported --in advance-- the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. As John Kerry famously said "I was for it before I was against it."

So don't try to scapegoat onto Republicans what Democrats had a full and bipartisan hand in.