Quote:

my drug of choice was mostly comic books.

Mine as well.
We have that much in common.

My cousin I've known about as a lesbian since 1989.

My other gay/homosexual relative since about 1995 (I can't recall the exact date).
I asked his father what he thought about his son being gay about a year or so after, and his response was "Well, I'd prefer if my son wasn't gay, but he's still my son" and didn't love his son any less.

But I see your point, because some (not many that I've seen, but some) parents rift with their children at the revelation, and I guess until you break the news, you really don't know for sure if it will cause a rift.

I think it's significant to note that despite my hardline views on homosexuality, I don't love my gay family members any less, and have never avoided or discriminated against gay co-workers or other gays I cross paths with.

I still think people who feel strongly enough about it should be able to refuse certain gay business or gay employees if they feel strongly enough to take that stance based on their beliefs. Just like a Jew or Muslim shouldn't be forced to eat pork.
My own preference is interaction, rather than shutting them out.
But I understand why, say, conservative Christian photographers should want to not photograph a gay wedding service, or a catholic school should not want a gay teacher, and I think they should have the right to say no to gays in those or similar circumstances.