Originally Posted By: the G-man
I think most of my letters were actually published in First Comics, back in the 80s: Nexus, Sable, Badger, etc. That may be less of a tribute to my writing skills and more to their dearth of readership, however.

Aww, don't be so hard on yourself, G-man. I had several letters published in a number of First titles too, but primarily in DC titles of which I've always been the biggest fan, as well a scattered few in Marvel titles, and a few other independent titles. I think when you wrote to someone other than Marvel, DC, First or Eclipse, the readership was far smaller to the point that your odds of getting published were much higher.

As a result of letters of mine published (with my address), I actually got letters from fan magazines and smaller fanzines soliciting contributions, including Guy H. Lillian, and Rex Joyner of THE LEGION OUTPOST. The longest things I've written as comic scripts were LEGION stories, that I actually submitted to DC. After receiving rejection letters from Karen Berger and her successor, I wish I'd had the good sense to send it to the OUTPOST, to allow it to be published in some form.

I also got letters from inmates in prison a few times, looking for pen-pals, who saw my address. (I'm thinking of Cartman in South Park: "I am a 10-year old boy looking for a mature relationship with an older man..." )
Similarly a few Europeans looking for pen pals who wanted to practice their English. One guy from Poland asked me to look for some matchbox cars for him.