From BATMAN 256, May-June 1974:

Quote:
Dear Editor:
The latest issue of BATMAN (#253) was very well executed. The unusual guest-star role of The Shadow kept the somewhat dull and unimaginative plot from being unduly abrasive.
The Shadow's mysterious comings and goings, while far from being subtle, fit smoothly into the overall adventure. My guess is that Lamont Cranston would have to be in his sixties, so any suggestion that he return to his strenuous crime-busting habits would be absurd. I think it's just as well for him to continue his "untold" adventures in his own magazine (How's that for a plug?)
--James T. McCoy, Valley Station, KY

Dear Editor:
Your super-hero comix have brought joy and imagination to adults and children all over the world. They did this for my child-man Jimmy McCoy, who in the past years has written and has had so many letters published by your company. Jimmy had Muscular Dystrophy, and through your comics he saw himself walk and do all the things he couldn't do. Jimmy passed away on Sunday, October 31, 1973, and I'm writing this letter to simply thank you for making him happy. Please continue to do so for all the other child-men in the world.
His sister,
Kathleen McCoy

( In preparing these pages each issue, an editor often sees the same signatures on the letters of comment again and again. And he often comes to regard his "regular critics" as a kind of small family. Believe us, Ms. McCoy, when we say that to lose someone like Jimmy is to lose a member of that special family. On behalf of our publisher, Carmine Infantino, our editors, and the entire DC staff who have appreciated Jimmy's comments, you have our deepest sympathies and our assurance that we will continue trying to bring that "joy and imagination" to people like Jimmy, throughout the world. Because it is through the sadness of a letter like yours that comes the comfort of knowing that it is all worthwhile. --Martin Pasko )