Hawken

You play as Christopher Hawken and pilot your choice of a Mech. You have 4 really weak (but serviceable) ones to choose from when you start. It runs on the Unreal source engine so it looks good, but the controls are FPS all the way instead of traditional mech/tank. It's twitch-reliant and has been criticized as just another FPS with mech skins (an accurate but unfair criticism, since there's really not much in the way of innovation when it comes to FPS these days. Majority of them are just another FPS with a different skin.)

It's free to play Mech/FPS with microtransactions, but the original company sold it to a new one and they still haven't set up the store properly, so it's pretty much free to play right now.

I started doing badly because I'm on an x360 gamepad kick (I've been having an easier time with a gamepad on Borderlands 2), but I switched back to keyboard and started actually being able to kill the enemies.

Only playing coop for now because I have no steam friends to invite, and had to rely on random matchmaking. The ones I've played with are friendly, though. There are no trash talkers and are not expecting too much when they see that I'm using the trainee Mech. It's a big contrast to when I tried Counter Strike: Global Offensive on a shop. I think the tag "Global Offensive" came from the fact that people from other parts of the globe will go out of their way to offend you because you're using the default skins.

---------

I'm still anticipating DoA 5: Last Round, but I'm contemplating refunding the pre-order and just using the steam credits for something else. I do want to support devs who go out of their way to try PC releases even if the products come out a little bit bugged or with poor netcode, but man. Team Ninja is really dropping the ball on this one - it's just been announced that instead of porting the PS4 versions, they're porting the PS3 and Arcade ones.

It's not so bad if it's just that, the PS3 version looks good and I couldn't care less if the number of times the character's boobs jiggle is reduced, but they also updated the minimum system requirements to an i7. There's no way my PC can handle the new sysreqs even if I tone down the details. Heck, since they're being lazy with the port, there's a huge chance that the engine will not support frameskipping so you either need to run the game fullspeed or get slow motion gameplay.