Originally Posted By: Pariah
And this book is boring as shit. I can see what he's doing from a mile away. Lets break this down inductively:

A Question that no longer subscribes to an objectively quantified reality that is subject to a dialectic format, but rather a series of color-coded classifications that sit dead center of black and white. And he's gay.

A monologue by the demi-god that debates the existence of beginning and end in a so called infinity of a metaphysical reality that achieves substance solely through the pages of a book (more of his gay meta-fiction).

The identification of a mysterious, but prevalent--and uncannily numerological--algorithm, the existence of which either makes or breaks the concept of universal meaning. Allegedly, the code has been cracked, and purpose exists by dint of one being conscious of it OR the universe is a random formation of aimless particles that neither start nor finish, but the shape of which is so static as to be subject to calculation by the human intellect. Either way, it's a typical chaos v. harmony narrative (i.e. the book is harmonious to us, the omnipresent reader (and Atom), but chaos to the characters within (except Atom)).

An overarching theme that debates both the virtue and the relevance of linearity, but ultimately tables the argument in favor of non-linearity by giving the being that exists inside, outside, and through time the ultimate say on whether or not it matters by making him the one most conscious of the universe's framework--which can apparently be summed up mathematically.

Obviously, if you do away with linearity, you also eliminate the "beginning and end" binary, but in effect, you eliminate the story as well--a point that Morrison would obviously argue against. A series of jumbled ideas that may or may not allude to a moral does not a story make. You've only established an infinity insofar as you're forced to end the story in the middle of the book, and thus not actually finish it since it will simply begin again by the final page or end with the first. So FUCK YOU Morrison! Go FUCK yourself you FUCKIN PIECE OF SHIT ACID-TRIPPING COCKSUCKER AND LEAVE THE DECENT CHARACTERS ALONE!!

Morrison knew that he couldn't pull the spiral dynamics shit off with Rorschach, but no one would give a fuck about an alternative Charlton universe, so he had at it like a total douche.

Well, you just lost half your audience except for the invective, which I think everyone could understand.

My only complaint was that he already did the comic book suprareality with Animal-Man. I don't mind Atom being in the position of being beyond linearity - Gaiman just indulged himself in this, albeit in a much more ancillary way, with Sandman:Overture, where Sandman's father is beyond a lineal progression of time and cause and effect.

Watchmen was fundamentally all about chaos theory (as you know) and this seemed to me to be an inoffensive dovetail.

But look at you! You're offended!

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com