Yeah, I'm no tech expert, but that's what I've heard, that even when data is erased, it can still be recovered. That it can be over-written with new data over and over to further erase it is somewhat new to me.

But I've seen multiple news reports that the only way to completely eliminate the data is to basically take a sledge hammer to the hard drive and physically destroy it beyond simply erasing it.

But what I meant is that unless the e-mails were completely destroyed on the recipient end of the people Hitlery mailed to, they could still be recovered from the other people she was known to e-mail to. Some of the Hillary inner circle would delete e-mails to protect their queen.
But some of them, in the state department and elsewhere might be reluctant to delete them for fear of being prosecuted by federal law for destroying evidence, or have saved them to protect their own asses if Hillary or other Hillary/Obama staffers tried to throw them under the bus later, and then with the e-mails they could prove the orders came from elsewhere. Or to negotiate immunity or lighter sentences for themselves if they later come under fire.

I'm sure at least some of Hillary's e-mails were sent to people who were not Hillary/Obama loyalists, but are career bureaucrats who just want to protect their own careers.