I think you're right. And it's the same advice that I'd give (or have given) to Ross Perot, Jesse Jackson, Donald Trump, Dr. Ben Carson and many others: Be a mayor of a large city, be a governor, prove that you can duplicate your private-sector excellence in a political position that requires building popular support and building coalitions in the Senate and Congress to get things done!

Mitt Romney has proven that he knows how to do this.
As have John McCain, Newt Gingrich and many others.

A guy like Ross Perot I would not vote for as I did 20-plus years ago. Being a corporate CEO, you don't have to build coalitions, you have the first and last word, and everyone says "yes sir!" The presidency isn't like that.
Despite the attempts of the current guy in the Whitehouse to stick to his blinders-on ideology, and ram through legislation and executive orders that EVEN HIS OWN PARTY has rejected. And as in the case of Senator Robert Menendez, and True The Vote, Obama has (rather than demonstrating any ability to build coalitions) instead weaponized the Justice Dept, the FBI and IRS to silence and intimidate his critics.

So yeah, even among Republicans I favor guys with a proven track record like governor Scott Walker, governor John Kasich, governor Mike Huckabee, and (less enthusiastically) Jeb Bush.
Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio I see as possibly ending up as a vice president on the ticket.