Originally Posted By: Pariah
I still want to get back to this topic, but it's been so long that I've lost most of the context and the immediate criteria upon which I was operating. Maybe I'll get back to it later on in the week.

That being said, Iggy's latest response doesn't require further context for me to adequately respond to it:

Originally Posted By: iggy
More from my heritage of defiance. How fucking dare the federal government oppress my people so...

Originally Posted By: Ben Tillman 1895
If we were free, instead of having negro suffrage, we would have negro slavery. Instead of having the United States government, we would have the Confederate States government.

Neither you nor Doc can operate under the premise that robbing the states of their rights by military force constituted a social high ground taken by the North when Lincoln wasn't actually pushing for the abolition of slavery to begin with. From the get go, the conflict initiated by the North was motivated by a desire to keep the tangent culture(s) of the Southern states within the political and economic sway of the North through Federal bondage. You can (erroneously) attempt to push the narrative that the South was motivated by slavery if you prefer, but you can neither passively nor actively claim that the North's aggression was an act of beneficence directed at the slaves.

I believe that I was the first to bring up the fact that the North's anti-slavery bent was due to political reasons and not a higher morality. But thanks for playing anyway. And it is not erroneous to say that the South was motivated by slavery. It's a plain fact that they wrote down time and time again themselves in the very documents they used to succeed from the Union. You can claim economics and culture, but the center point of both of those arguments is still slavery.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."