Those arguments can be made, and I won't stop or even discount them. But they cannot be used to cover up the fact that the reason for the South breaking away from the Union and the war starting was due to slavery. You can try and hide it in economics, but it boils down to the economics of a slave labor society. You can try and hide it within cultural excuse; but it's about a culture that wanted to maintain a master/slave system and treat people as property and having less value as human beings. And once again I believe that I was the first to point out the divide between North and South as being a industrializing economy vs. an agrarian/plantation economy. That does not negate the opinions people have that the Southern Cross flag (again, it's not the Stars & Bars that was being discussed or in debate here) could be seen as a symbol of that slave owning society or the subsequent white over black power system that existed in the South for over a century afterwards.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."