i have seen this movie. i have enjoyed this movie.

despite my rampant geekiness elsewhere, I've never been a giant Star Wars geek. But I did get hyped up from all the trailers, threw in a few dashes of nostalgia and rewatched IV, V, and VI with some pals, and then got into the new title.

I have critiques! As any good internet person should. But mostly, it was fun and a good movie that ....has set ridiculous box office records.

Without getting into spoilery specifics... i liked the new characters (rey, fin, kylo, bb8, and po) way more than i thought I would -- i very much anticipated hating them, and I actually really liked each. all of the "hey, here's the old guys" parts were also very well done. Han owned the film, leia and chewie's moments were nice, even c3po and r2d2's appearances were nice and nostalg...ish.

Getting deeper into the spoiler pool... the plot was unapologetically "a new, new hope". My friends who are giant starwars fans hated that aspect, but I could see it as good and bad -- light and dark, if you will. sure, for them, they were expecting all original stuff, but this movie wasn't just for them. there are like 8 generations of star wars fans (and potential fans) now, so something had to serve as "the new baseline". if that was the intent, then I think it was incredibly well done. the parallels between IV and VII are incredibly evident if you've seen the originals often, which might be a nice dose of reminiscing. and if you haven't seen them yet, you're getting the best parts of the original, with all the benefit of new perspective and modern day cinematics. alright, maybe that's me giving too much credit to abrams, but fuck off!

giant picture