• "Breitbart News is no longer a journalistic enterprise, but instead, in my opinion, something resembling an unaffiliated media Super PAC for the Trump campaign. I signed my contract to work as a journalist, not as a member of the Donald J. Trump for President media network. As recent events have proven, there is no longer a point in trying to reform the company from within, so I must step aside with my dignity intact. I wish everyone at Breitbart the best, and hope the site can redeem the legacy of its founder under much-needed new management,"

I'm unconvinced of the legitimacy of his claims. The majority of the staff is undeniably pro-Trump, but that didn't stop Shapiro from running articles that were anti-Trump or pro-Cruz on the site. Indeed, multiple writers have had the freedom to go against the grain without apparent issue. I'm not prepared to indict Breitbart as a conservative version of ABC/NBC according to this incident.

Would Andrew Breitbart have done differently? Good question. I have no choice but to defer to Shapiro on that one since I never met the man. However, while I would assume that he would have backed up Michelle Fields based on her word--and the video--it's a tad more lofty to say he'd authorize a Twitter war while an investigation was still going on.