Originally Posted By: Pariah
They've green-lit a sequel anyhow. The powers that be cannot allow this movie to be seen as a failure since it represents 'great epic social justice'. So they'll obfuscate objective reality with constant and ceaseless investment, attempting to rewire people's perceptions--and the public consciousness as a whole--until the fact that this movie is shit is no longer a matter of fact, but rather an interpretation that's more controversial than common sense.

I have a feeling that, at this stage, Sony's losses have been insured by third party interests who are more concerned with the delivery than with the product.

They said it will be a whole franchise of spin offs etc.
After all the backlash of the trailers, the talk of the spin offs etc seemed to indicate that Sony had changed their minds.

Now the film has come out, and has seriously underperformed, the only way I see them actually continuing is the tried and tested modern day technique of rebooting.

You only have to look at the fact that Sony shit themselves with Amazing Spiderman 2, and tied up the deal with Marvel to see that Sony is no longer willing to continue on with a big name, big budget franchise if they are willing to lose money.

I doubt its the end of Ghostbusters, but I have a feeling that if there is a next one, it wont be this cast and director.