After you posted your question, I re-read DC SPECIAL SERIES 15, and BATMAN 297.

While they aren't exactly Alan Moore in peak form (and what is, with rare exception, from that period?) I thought both were fun and charming
stories with some interesting twists.

DC SPECIAL 15 focused on a ghost writer who tricks Batman into investigating the murder of his author friend. Some sentimental moments
that I thought were well played. Certainly on this story, the Nasser/Rubinstein art made it infinitely more memorable.

In the BATMAN 297 story, I especially like the concluding scene, where Bruce Wayne, after first coming across as a coward during the opening
scene robbery of Bruce Wayne and a female companion in a romantic carriage ride through Central Park, in the final scene Bruce Wayne returns
the stolen items and is scoring points with the girl in a repeat of their initial romantic carriage ride. I thought it was about as witty
and well played as a story with the Mad Hatter character could have been pulled off.

As I said, Reed (a k a, David Vern) is not one of my favorite writers, but I still give him credit for telling a few enjoyable stories.
Especially relative to writers in that period (1979-1981) like O'Neil, Wein and Conway, who were doing less than their best work on titles
like BATMAN, DETECTIVE and WORLD'S FINEST.

BATMAN 300 is (at least in memory, not read recently) one of my favorite "imaginary" stories, one of the few that allows Batman to end
his career on a positive note.
(I'd love to read some that do a good job of portraying Bruce Wayne marrying Selina Kyle, retiring and having children. I don't know if it's
ever been done, or even better done well, or just suggested as something that occurred without an actual story being told of how it went down.)