A lot of credit goes to Trump. He was smart. But the memers--or "thought leaders" as CTR's David Brock refers to them--that pushed him to victory played a bigger part in this. They were also largely behind Brexit. Information and counter-intelligence fought by cyber guerilla fighters are to thank for this turn out.

I can't remember if it was Politico or someone else that wrote an articles about how they lamented memes since they're ultimately what gave him his power. And they're right. Trump was smart enough to ride this power because he knew that collective consciousness wasn't a fairy tale. If you look back he used multiple memes created by /pol/ to enhance his outsider image.

I was going to start a whole thread on the topic, but I've been so busy I didn't get around to it. Suffice it to say however, Trump's victory is the result of a war fought between two cults. One is the cult that Hillary belongs to that she fostered among her closest associates (she didn't found it mind you, but she adopted it and made it her own) and the other is the one that was growing within the deepest depths of the internet who saw what was going on and were sick to death of it. It's surprisingly young, and they turned out to be so influential that the FBI and other various alphabet soup organizations were tasked with watching and containing them. In the process however, they actually redpilled the very people that were charged with their surveillance. And so Pieczenik's so called "counter coup" was given form in the guise of these rogue agents that hacked Hillary's server along with the internet dwellers who watched as their civilization and culture has slowly been degraded and destroyed, and decided to employ the same tactics used against them (us) for the past two centuries to undo the damage.

Trump and his accomplishment is both notable and remarkable, but it's not the whole story.