It was a jolt to see that Wrightson, of all artists, is dead. At 68, he wasn't that old. In a few weeks I'll turn 54, he was just 14 years older than me.

Wrightson is arguably the best artist that ever came out of the comics field. His decorative linework made almost everything he did, particularly during the 1970's, suitable for framing. And quite a few of those pages are framed and on the walls of several rooms of my home.

Some of the highlights of his career that remain among my favorites are his work for HOUSE OF MYSTERY (1969-1974), his award-winning run on SWAMP THING 1-10 and the preceding one-shot in HOUSE OF SECRETS 92 (1971-1974), his sporadic run of anthology stories and decorative title pages in CREEPY and EERIE magazines (1973-1982), reprinted in beautiful Steve Oliff color in BERNI WRIGHSON: MASTER OF THE MACABRE 1-3 from Pacific comics (1983-1984).
Plus Wrightson's work printed in THE STUDIO art book (with Jeff Jones, Windsor Smith, and Kaluta, of work they each produced while they shared a studio together in the mid/late 1970's, virtually all of which was released as posters, portfolios or limited edition prints. )
And Wrightson's illustrations adapting Mary Wollstonecraft Shelly's FRANKENSTEIN (released in hc and tpb in 1983), and the three limited-edition portfolios in 1977, 1978 and 1980 that preceded its release. Plus the book FRANKENSTEIN: THE LOST PAGES that collects all the pages that were created but not included in the final book, many more beautiful than those in the book itself.

Wrightson also did a CREEPSHOW graphic novel in 1982 with Stephen King, along with production design for the movie, and also did several other collaborative works with Stephen King, doing illustrations for the books CYCLE OF THE WEREWOLF and THE STAND. The signed limited editions go for big bucks, as do the limited edition portfolios of those illustrations.
Wrightson also did design work for the movie GHOSTBUSTERS.

Beyond that, Wrightson was one of the most approachable and modest comics creators I ever had the pleasure to meet. He was a remarkably nice guy, particularly for one so talented and revered. By my account, for all his success, it never went to his head.

68 is way too young. But his work will be loved and revered forever.