Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
Why use that offensive language though G? Trump is supposedly for a system based more on merit so a doctor from a shithole country might be more preferable than somebody unskilled from a "good" country. His comments tied immigration to the countries themselves and in a very ugly way.

I'll again refer to the book State of Emergency by Pat Buchanan (2006), that has a lot of statistics and studies of both legal and illegal immigration.

Over 50 years of statistics, the worst performing nations in terms of high school graduation, pursuit of higher education, perpetual dependence on and abuse of welfare, illiteracy, arrests, crime, incarceration in U.S. prisons, gangs, drug trafficking, and other abuses of the system, who perpetually into multiple generations are most often remaining in poverty, are immigrants from Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean. And sub-Saharan Africa. In his 2008 book Suicide of a Superpower, Buchanan cites a study that while those from African and other third-world nations improve on test scores when they immigrate and attend school in the United States, they still perform consistently lower than other immigrant groups.

You can point to 1 in 100,000 Mexican or Somalia immigrants who become a doctor. (And you seem to suggest letting in someone who already has that education and skills, which I believe we already do.) But admitting immigrants with no skills is risky from a nation where a 10-year old is statistically more likely to become an incarcerated gang member than a physician.
I said this before: I think we should look at immigration statistics since 1965, and give favored status (regardless of race) to immigrants from nations that statistically/historically for 50-plus years have a high ratio of assimilation by the above criteria (such as Japan, S. Korea, Europe and Canada), and a more difficult hurdle for immigrants from nations that have a low ratio of assimilation by the above criteria (such as Mexico, Central America, and sub-Saharan Africa).
That's fair, right? And it makes sense and protects the nation.

Another interesting detail Buchanan lists is that the 50 counties in the U.S. with the highest ratio of illegal immigrants are the counties with the lowest wages. Clearly, it is not that Americans won't do the jobs that immigrants do, it's that employers either 1) hire illegals with no interest in U.S. workers or 2) that illegals working under the table for lower wages price the wage so low that no American worker would want it.

In State of Emergency Buchanan cites a U.S. Congressional study that explored what are the professions that are most saturated with illegal immigrants. The job that ranked the highest is dry-wall installation in the construction industry, at 26% illegals. But that means 74% of dry wall installers are Americans!

The one debatable part of Trump's remarks is if he could have said it in a nicer way than "shithole countries".

First off, if you watch Laura Ingraham's opening commentary from Jan 12th(and a second Igraham editorial specifically about Durbin 28 minutes in), she explores Sen. Dick Durbin's record of proven lies, and asks if he is as believable as Trump. Trump and the Republicans who were in the meeting say Trump did not say "shithole countries". Only Durbin of those in the room alleges that.

Buit let's assume Trump DID use the term. If he used a more nuanced term, it would have gone unnoticed. Because he used that term, or is at least alleged to have used that term, it has galvanized debate on the issue. And for many, using that term or not, it has widely raised the notion among voters that these are not countries it is sensible to easily admit immigrants from. And I think that works in Trump's favor, toward the sensible limits and vetting of immigrants Trump is pushing for. That he won a campaign in 2016 on.