I've often thought the same about prescribed anti-depressants and stress medications, that they are a potential tool of the state, a way to make a population bendable to whatever the state wants.

I noticed anti-depressants and other prescribed drugs began advertising on television for the first time in the aftermath of 9/11/2001.

I've always resisted any medications whatsoever, without a very good reason, and for a prescribed limited time. Because every drug has side effects. In men, for example, taking anti-histamines for allergies can cause enlargement of the prostrate. I have allergies, and was prescribed them from age 11 till my early 30's, the only medication beyond antibiotics I've ever taken. I felt some discomfort sitting and was about to have it medically checked out. Then I read an article describing the prostrate enlargement effects of anti-histamines, stopped taking them, and it went away, and has not recurred in over 20 years. I could have spent a lot of unnecessary time and money on doctors, if I'd not read that article!

I think many people are on medications that they don't really need.
And perhaps there is a reason for that. Pharmaceutical industry profits is certainly one motivation. Perhaps experiments in controlling populations with medication is another. While not widespread, there have certainly been government experiments along these lines, even in the United States.