Wow!

https://image.isu.pub/160518212815-694c47d432ffb353469b3e2583ace5d9/jpg/page_15.jpg

There's a photo of Stan Lee with C.C. Beck at the 1979 Miamicon. I was there and I didn't see them! At that time, I was more interested in purchasing back issues than in meeting the creators of them. At that show I completed my runs of Adams Deadman/STRANGE ADVENTURES, and Adams GREEN LANTERN/GREEN ARROW. As I recall, it was on my mind to meet them after I got the back issues I was there for, and I either ran out of time or just forgot about them.

The Kirby page of Shazam, in COMIC READER 100, also has Kirby pin-up illustrations of Superman and Batman. A nice surprise when I picked that issue up about 10 years ago. They let on that was the last issue edited by Paul Levitz before he went on to working for DC. That issue was published (1973) in the period Bud plant was just getting started as a retailer.

The comic shop in Margate I still buy from opened in 1980, and the owner is roughly the same age as Bud Plant. I'll have to ask him if he met Bud Plant. He's already told me a lot of funny stories about creators he's met. Until they died, Phil had longtime friendships with Sheldon Moldoff, Will Eisner (who also lived in Margate), and Green Lantern creator Martin Nodell.