Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy
One item I'd love to have in my collection, and that I've passed up many opportunities to buy, is the figure/model of the
Bottled City of Kandor.

I was just looking at the above linked grand tour of it on youtube by a guy who purchased it, and obviously has a great affection for it. This Kandor model is BY FAR the nicest figure DC ever released. The only other one I like almost as much is the Green Lantern power ring and lantern to recharge it. Both of these take comics mythology and really bring it to life, in an ornately detailed figure.

But alas, for all the comics, decorative hardcovers, posters and prints that I enjoy displaying, I already have hundreds of others tucked away securely, that it's almost tragic such beautiful pages can't also be framed and displayed. And I think that's ultimately what would happen to Kandor if I bought it. I'd enjoy and display it for a while, and then eventually put it in storage, and worry about possibly breaking it.

An aspect I wasn't aware of is that it only stays lit for about 30 seconds before automatically shutting off. And that there's no varied pattern to the lights. This part is disappointing. But overall, still very cool.
The YouTube guy also gives some history of when Kandor first appeared in Superman titles, and images from multiple comics stories over the years, to compare with the sculpted figure. My favorite Kandor story is a Swan/Anderson backup story in ACTION COMICS 400, in 1971.

I remember debating on buying this too. It is pretty cool but I passed for much the same reason. Back when Mattel was making the JLU figures they did release a superman figure with a much smaller scaled bottled city that I do have on a bookcase. Probably the best accessory ever outside of Krypto and Batmite.

Fair play!