Wow. That's one of the best answers you ever gave me!

You certainly know more about guns than I do. In an effort to develop an understanding, I found this article:

http://www.businessinsider.com/ar-15-semi-automatic-history-why-used-mass-shootings-2018-2

It was just getting to the interesting part when they concluded the article. In another news story I saw, they said that an assault rifle bullet travels at 3 times the velocity of a handgun bullet, and does much more damage, blows a much larger hole in the body as it passes through, shatters bones, and does much more damage to internal organs. This article touches on that as well, but the previous story I saw gave a much clearer detailing of that.

I understand, though, that assault weapons, or even rifles in general, are only used in 2% of shootings. While it may be the weapon of choice in events like the Parkland shooting, and while they do occur, and with increasing frequency, they are a tiny fraction of shootings as opposed to other gun crimes. While bans or restrictions of assault weapons might make a difference in 300 or less shootings a year, that ignores that the overwhelming majority of shootings are with handguns. And I suspect even if a ban of either were to actually happen, it wouldn't make the slightest difference. They're criminals, they don't purchase weapons legally. The majority of guns are borrowed or stolen from relatives, borrowed or stolen from burglarized homes, or traded for drugs. Less than 25% of guns used in crimes are purchased in a retail way that would subject the user to a background check.
One of my favorite redneck phrases: "If all guns are outlawed, only outlaws'll have 'em."