A ban on certain guns that represent only 2% of guns purchased, that weren't even used in the school shootings that solicited the ban: Columbine, Sandy Hook and the others on the list I linked of school shootings worldwide.
The REAL issues are:
1) mental illness
2) background checks not up to standards required by law
3) the school not reporting previous crimes by Cruz and other students (and similarly at other schools nationwide) to artificially reduce numbers of black and hispanic crimes, and to make their schools look safer than they truly are, police not acting or reporting prior crimes by Cruz, and FBI not acting or reporting prior crimes by Cruz.
4) with failure of 2) and 3) above, Cruz was able to buy guns
5) more broadly, handguns, not "assault rifles" are used in the overwhelming majority of crimes, so banning assault rifles won't make the slightest dent in crime, as the 1980's ban proved over a 10-year period, as the Justice Department's statistics prove.
6) 78% of guns used in crimes are not purchased or obtained through gun retailers, or subject to background checks. They are borrowed, stolen, traded for drugs, or purchased illegally on the black market.

And my comment about city hall was very hypothetical, meant to express a level of outrage at such a level of state over-reach, not that I would actually do it. When Madonna burns down the White House, or all these celebrity liberals kill President Trump as they've verbalized, get back to me. They mean it more than I do.