http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/09/14/key-findings-about-u-s-immigrants/

Quote:
The U.S. foreign-born population reached a record 43.7 million in 2016. Since 1965, when U.S. immigration laws replaced a national quota system, the number of immigrants living in the U.S. has more than quadrupled. Immigrants today account for 13.5% of the U.S. population, nearly triple the share (4.7%) in 1970. However, today’s immigrant share remains below the record 14.8% share in 1890, when 9.2 million immigrants lived in the U.S.

I don't fully trust the statistics given, Pew Research is notoriously liberal, and I suspect just by the names in the byline of the study, that they are likely pro-illegal, and present their facts in a way that diminishes any negatives of illegals or of immigrants in general.

The most interesting part for me was that asian immigration is now outpacing hispanicc/Mexican immigration. Although again, I don't fully buy that. The Associated Press in an article I cited previously puts Mexican immigration (both legal and illegal) at 59 or 60%, the overwhelming majority. The next largest is Central America at about 15%.
And when you combine the illegal immigration percentages from Mexico, Central America, South America and the Caribbean, Latin American regions combined are 81.25% of all illegal immigration (AP article, 2008).

Another article I read said that the U.S. admits 20% of all the world's international immigrants.

I recall Kirstjen Nielsen giving a ratio much higher than that in a press conference, of 63% (although that could have been a subcategory of immigrants, such as refugees, or asylum seekers worldwide, or Central American refugees.)