Some I appreciate more than ever, when I re-read them. Others, like for example the O'Neil/Adams GREEN LANTERN/GREEN ARROW, while mixed with moments of greatness, some of the dialogue is pretty groanworthy.

The Roy Thomas material for the most part stands up pretty well in the modern era. Especially his CONAN THE BARBARIAN and SAVAGE SWORD OF CONAN runs.
I like Thomas' JSA books. I understand Thomas did the same at Marvel for THE INVADERS, but I haven't read that series.
I think Thomas was blessed with much better artists on the DC side, with ALL STAR SQUADRON and YOUNG All-STARS. Even for our mutual disinterest in INFINITY INC., that's still the series that launched Todd McFarlane's pro work and career. And another lesser known guy I like named Vince Argondezzi.

On the "reading more about comics these days than actual comics" I really like the COMIC BOOK ARTIST magazine, and have almost every issue. They were more sporadically published toward the end. Some great interviews and insights. I love the lengthy conversational interviews with writers and artists. I learned a lot about series I thought I already knew very well.
There was a funny recollection by Don McGregor regarding the AMAZING ADVENTURES/Killraven series, where McGregor had a "salt and pepper" thing he was doing developing a romance between M'Shulla and Carmilla Frost, and Marvel's editors were nervous that if they were too overt about it, it might cost them distribution in the Bible-belt South. So lo and behold, suddenly Marvel gets a letter praising the M'Shulla/Carmilla romance developing, by a Protestant minister! Many years later, McGregor admits in the interview that the letter was fake, that he himself wrote it, to sooth Marvel management, so that he could fully develop the inter-racial romance, that culminated in an inter-racial kiss between the two characters in issue 31.