(6) EDGE vs. “DEMON” FINN BALOR – Hell in a Cell match

Finn Balor and Edge stood at opposite corners of the ring as the bell rang and the cell door was locked. They met in the middle and traded two quick shoves before sliding out adjacent sides of the ring and fishing under it for weapons. Edge retrieved a red steal chair, Balor a Kendo stick. Edge swung the chair, but Balor no-sold it. He hit Edge with stick a number of times before the two spilled to the outside. Edge was already sporting a small cut near his eye.

After battling at ringside for a few moments, the two returned to the ring. Edge pounced on Balor and threw a few punches before the Demon rolled free and retreated to the floor. Edge stalked him, fresh Kendo sticks in hand. He cracked it over Balor’s back, then tossed him into the cell wall as the match crossed 3:00. Edge collected a number of sticks from ringside. He used them to trap Balor against the corner of the cell. Edge climbed to the turnbuckle and delivered a dropkick to Balor. Finn slumped, suddenly being choked by the top stick.

With Balor immobilized, Edge went back under the ring to retrieve a purple table. He propped it against the opposite corner of the Cell and turned to retrieve Balor. Finn had used the weight of his body to snap one of the Kendo sticks and free himself. He charged at Edge and whipped him violently into the steel steps. Balor tossed Edge against the wall of the cell and chopped him repeatedly before sliding him back into the ring. Edge fought to his feet, kicked Balor in the gut, and hit the Edgecution. Finn shot to his feet almost immediately. He delivered a missile dropkick to Edge, sending him to the apron, then another one to drop him to the floor.

Balor slithered out of the ring, stalking his prey. He charged at Edge, giving him a missile dropkick. Edge flew back, crashing through the leaning table and into the cell wall. Balor retrieved a chair and tossed it at the wood pile containing Edge’s body. Edge emerged from the wreckage and Balor tossed a chair right at his head. Edge shook it off and avoided a third hit. The two fought their way into the ring. Edge pulled Balor in and hit the Killswitch. He crawled to the corner as Balor slowly rose to meet him. Edge charged for a Spear, but Finn kicked him in the face. He rolled Edge up for a two count just past the 8:00 mark.

Graves said that Balor is unaffected by moves that would normally put wrestlers away. Edge went to the outside and pulled out a ladder. He tossed it right at Balor’s head, dropping hm. Finn’s head was busted open and dripping blood all over the mat. The referee immediately moved Edge back and called someone into the cell to work on Balor. The crowd booed heavily. Edge looked frustrated. The camera avoided showing Balor at all costs. Edge went back under the ring to retrieve more Kendo sticks, another chair, and a tool box. He set up a ladder in the corner. The referee continued to hold him back.

Balor finally emerged from the congress of officials working on him. Edge gave him another Edgecution. Balor popped up. Edge went for a Spear, for Balor ducked. Edge collided with the ladder. Finn climbed to the top rope and delivered a big missile dropkick. Edge slowly rose to his feet. Balor caught him with a quick Slingblade. He hurried to the top rope and connected with the Coup De Grace. Balor hooked the leg for a near fall at 13:15. Finn climbed the turnbuckle on the ladder’s side. He began climbing the ladder. Edge intercepted him with a Kendo stick. He climbed the opposite end. The two teetered atop the ladder. Edge pulled Balor in and gave him an Edgecution off the steps of the ladder. He covered for a near fall.

The Demon writhed on the mat while Edge pulled out another table. He dragged it into the ring and slid it toward the southeast corner. Edge set up the table and turned around to ate a Kendo stick shot to the ribs. Balor forced Edge onto the table. He hit him in the stomach repeatedly with the steel chair. Balor climbed to the top turnbuckle. He turned and noticed a camera platform at the top of the first panel of the cell. He climbed to that instead. Balor went for a Coup De Grace, but Edge rolled off the table. Finn crumpled the table with his feet. Both men dragged themselves to their feet. Edge caught Balor with a Spear. He hooked both legs for a believable near fall.

“If you were Edge, what would you do?” Cole asked. Graves said he’d never have taken the match in the first place. Edge broke a Kendo stick over Balor’s back, then hit him half a dozen times with a steel chair. He dropped to his knees and slid the chair underneath Balor’s head. Graves said all the suffering has come to a head. Edge grabbed a second chair and hit a Con-Chair-To. He rolled Balor over and covered him for a three count.

WINNER: Edge in 18:10

(A lot will be said about the choice to halt the match in the coming days. It undoubtedly worked against its overall impact, it angered the crowd, it disappointed Edge and Balor, and it left Edge to try to scramble to hold the audience’s attention. I understand WWE’s aversion to blood, but I have a really hard time with sucking the momentum out of a crowd and a match if it happens by accident, especially in a match like Hell in a Cell. I was elated to see the return to the gray steel cell, as a opposed the toy-like red structure. Disappointingly, though, they colored the weapons instead! I guess something has to look like a toy in these gimmick matches now. That aside, I thought Edge and Balor worked incredibly hard and brought an appropriate level of violence to a feud of this magnitude and length. Balor is still clearly a star, especially in the paint, and the crowd loved seeing the throwback. I’d like to see him get another opportunity as a prominent babyface after his semi-rehabilitation as part of the Judgment Day. Edge needed to win to put the finishing touches on this feud, obviously. In the end, another really good match, but brought down by the referee stoppage.)

"Everything will surely be all right." 「絶対大丈夫だよ。」, "Zettai daijōbu da yo."
"Force without Master, heed the call of my Staff of Dreams, and become my power! SECURE!!!"
Neo-Geo Forum- Come for the games...stay for TEH DRAMA!!!