https://tombrevoort.com/2022/04/16/x-men-god-loves-man-kills-neal-adams-way/

Wow.

I just read this account by Marvel editor Tom Berevoort, where he details somewhat the various conflicting recollections of what happened with the planned and aborted Neal Adams X-MEN Marvel Graphic Novel, how Adams left the project, and it became the X-MEN: GOD LOVES MAN KILLS graphic novel by Chris Claremont and Brent Anderson.

The best part is that Adams completed 6 pages of pencils for the book (all shown at the link) , before Adams and Marvel parted ways. Till now, I was unaware of that (or maybe over 25 years laer, had just forgotten these 6 pages) . I only recalled previously the one page completed for an Adams X-MEN portfolio.

As I said prior, the story I'd heard for Adams leaving the project in 1982 was that Adams walked away, because Marvel would not give him he contract he wanted.

In Brevoort's version, other Marvel staffers gave other reasons why the Adams X-MEN graphic novel project was discontinued :

1) That Adams was still negotiating with his lawyer for a Marvel contract, and Marvel just got tired of negotiating, and "went in another direction", choosing artist Brent Anderson for the project, because it was just easier than continuing negotiations with Adams. Contrary to the earlier fan press version in 1982, it was Marvel who walked away, not Adams.
or
2) Marvel chief financial officer (CFO) Barry Kaplan perceived Neal Adams / Continuity Associates (through billing done previously with the deceased production manager John Verpoorten at Marvel) CFO Kaplan percieved Adams/Continuity to have fraudulently billed Marvel for work that was never done, and ceased giving any contracts to Adams or Continuity. Perceived that way by Kaplan, whether or not that actually occurred.

Nice to see all 6 pencilled unpublished Adams X-MEN graphic novel pages here, after all these years.
Although they were also reproduced with more clarity in COMIC BOOK ARTIST magazine in 1999 as well, and in that issue the pencils are more clear. And also nice to finally hear the other possible reasons the project was abandoned.