Quote:
D. McDonagh said:
Not sure if they count as pulp, but there were some lovely comics versions of Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat novels in 2000AD in the early 'Eighties (the first one might have been the late 'Seventies). Wonderful Ezquerra artwork, with Di Griz drawn to look like James Coburn...

I vaguely recall these 2000 A.D./Stainless Steel Rat issues you mention, D. McDonaugh. I can't really rate these, though, since I never read enough of them to give the series a chance. But I may change my mind and pick these up in the future.
I stopped buying after issue 8 of 2000 A.D., when the Alan Moore material ended. I wasn't even that wild about the "D.R and Quinch" or "Skizz" material.
I actually enjoyed Alan Moore's science fiction short pieces reprinted in TIME TWISTERS a lot more.

There's actually been a lot of Harry Harrison adaptations in comics. There was one Stainless Steel Rat novel I saw that had a cover and interior illustrations by Michael Kaluta.

A Harry Harrison book I really enjoyed and would highly recommend is Planet Story, a short novel by Harrison.
( some pages from the book: )
google images

Planet Story has a buttload of gorgeous illustrations by science fiction book cover artist Jim Burns in an 11" X 11" oversize book, that's comparable to THE STUDIO, and Roger Dean's VIEWS. At the time this book came out, many of the pages were available as posters. Gorgeous illustations and total package design.

The best place to get a copy of Planet Story, a long out-of-print book, is:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0891041354/susanofearna