Quote:
The Indestructible Man said:
Something that I just finished reading and I think would make for great comics in this vein is HP Lovecraft's 'Dream Cycle' of Randolph Carter -- its his branching from straightforward horror into horror-tinged fantasy in the realms of dream and the ancient past -- lots of pulp fantasy goodness, especially in its centerpiece, THE DREAM QUEST OF UNKNOWN KADATH...

There's a great adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft's "Cool Air" in BERNI WRIGHTSON:MASTER OF THE MACABRE issue 2 (published in 1983 by Pacific Comics).
( click on image to enlarge )

All five issues of BERNI WRIGHTSON present a great anthology of horror and science fiction stories.
Issue 1 also has Edgar Allan Poe's "The Black Cat", adapted by Wrightson, as well as many other fine stories.

These issues reprint stories Wrightson did in the 1970's for the Warren magazines ( originally in black-and-white, in CREEPY and EERIE), which appeared in color for the first time in this five-issue BERNI WRIGHTSON series.

Also from Pacific is the 1983 one-shot CORBEN SPECIAL, adapting Poe's "The Fall of the House of Usher".

Another by Corben is a collection of short Poe adaptations of Corben's, collected from various undergrounds he did over 15 or more years, the graphic novel TALES OF EDGAR ALLEN POE.

There are also some interesting adaptations of Poe by Gahan Wilson in the early 1990's when First Comics launched a new series of CLASSICS ILLUSTRATED, plus some other interesting adaptations of various authors by Rick Geary and other artists.

My favorite of First's CLASSICS ILLUSTRATED is an adaptation of MOBY DICK by Bill Sienkiewicz, which are, I think, some of the most beautiful pages of his comic art career.

Another I greatly enjoyed is in Marvel's CLASSICS ILLUSTRATED 28 (from 1977), with an adaptation of Poe's "A Cask of Amontillado", scripted by Don McGregor, with art by Michael Golden.
This story may also have been Golden's first pro comics work published.

A great Robert E. Howard horror story in the same vein as the above stories is PIGEONS FROM HELL, an Eclipse graphic novel from 1988, with beautiful painted art by Scott Hampton.