Quote:
Captain Sweden said:
If I haven't done it yet; thanks for giving the credits of 70's JUSTICE INC.
I've read about Kirby's art [ on JUSTICE INC. ] somewhere else, but that O'Neil wrote the scripts is interesting. I dig his THE SHADOW.

My pleasure, C.S.

I love O'Neil's THE SHADOW work too, and not just the Kaluta issues. The ones illustrated by Frank Robbins (5, 7, 8 and 9) and Phillipine artist E.R. Cruz (issues 10, 11, and 12), are equally enjoyable.

And although from another era in the early 1990's, I also enjoy a number of THE SHADOW series for Dark Horse by Kaluta, Gary Gianni and others. Although I don't think the Dark Horse stories were as good, they were at least true to the character and the 1930's period.

Some other lesser-known pulp-ish Kirby work for DC in that 1970-1975 period includes:
DAYS OF THE MOB and SPIRIT WORLD magazines from 1971 (black and white, one issue of each were published).
Inventory stories for the unpublished SPIRIT WORLD # 2 saw print in WEIRD MYSTERY TALES 1, 2, and 3, and DARK MANSION OF FORBIDDEN LOVE 6 (all out in 1972).
One inventory Kirby story for the unpublished DAYS IN THE MOB # 2 was finally printed in AMAZING WORLD OF DC COMICS fanzine issue 1, in 1974.
  • ( I posted the covers for these in another topic:

Comics Series that Never Happened
    HERE )

Plus Kirby did stories in OUR FIGHTING FORCES 151-162, that are somewhat autobiographical of Kirby's own WW II combat experience, serving in Northern France.

Kirby also did two pulp-ish short horror stories as writer/artist for CHAMBER OF DARKNESS 4 (a Phantom of the Opera-type story) and 5 (about a crashed pilot in the Korean War) in 1970, right before he left Marvel and went to DC.

Quote:
Captain Sweden said:
That Chandler pic' looks like [it's] taken from Miller's Sin City (have you mentioned that one yet, Dave?). On the other hand, maybe that could be said about a lot good-looking B/W artwork.

Nope, haven't mentioned it yet. You're the first !

Although in comics I associate the style most with Steranko, neither Steranko nor Miller have exclusive claim to the high-contrast black-and-white art style.
Will Eisner, Steve Ditko and Wally Wood, among others, had utilized this style at times, well before Steranko's work made it popular in the late 1960's.

And Paul Gulacy, Gene Day, John Byrne and Frank Miller, among many others have utilized the same style since Steranko's 60's work first presented it in STRANGE TALES, S.H.I.E.L.D. and CAPTAIN AMERICA.

If I'd begun reading comics in the 1990's, I might think Jim Lee invented that style. Jim Lee used this style for awhile in the single issue of DARKER IMAGE, and a few other titles.

• Frank Miller's dust jacket book cover to
    MEFISTO IN ONYX, by writer Harlan Ellison,
    released in 1993.

Quote:
First Amongst Daves said:
I'd be intrigued to read the Moby Dick one.

Every last one of them are among my favorites, Dave. The BERNI WRIGHTSON issues especially, which I've re-read many times.