Yeah, Corben and Mignola's styles meshed well together in that HELLBOY:MAKOMA story.

While I like Corben's air-brush smoothness, detail and color sense, and that he provides mostly adventure, science fiction and horror material that is a welcome alternative to all the superhero stuff, his work can also be crude and unsophisticated in its story content.

And most of all, the writing that accompanies his art, even in the material that I like, is rarely (if ever) accompanied by sophisticated prose.

The one exception to this I can recall is the X-MEN: HEROES FOR HOPE one-shot( in 1985), where Corben did three pages in collaboration with Alan Moore.

Which also sported some really mind-blowing combinations, such as Stephen King/Berni Wrightson/John Muth, Harlan Ellison/Frank Miller/Bill Sienkiewicz, and other work in interesting collaborations, of Kaluta, Vess, Bolton, Bolland, Chaykin, Simonson, and many other talents. All behind a highly poster-worthy Arthur Adams cover (which I got the promo poster for when it came out)