It requires a rethink of marriage in general to say that homosexual and heterosexual couples should have the same marital rights and responsibilities. The practices of marriage as they are commonly understood in Western society today stem largely from Judeo-Christian practices based upon Judeo-Christian scriptures - which do not condone homosexuality. All I'm saying is that you can't extend the concept of marriage as we know it now to fit something contrary to the precepts upon which that concept is built and by which it has been defined for most of our society's history. You can't change such an entrenched aspect of society without having to re-write many other precepts as well - after which you're not left with much to go on anyway. If you're that intent on making homosexual and heterosexual couples equal, you may as well throw out the marriage idea entirely. At least that's my perspective.

To me, the idea of legitimizing homosexual marriages may not directly interfere with my personal life, but the impact I feel it would have on society would ultimately affect everyone. That may not be terribly politically correct or tolerant of me, but I'm sure there are more horrible things I could be guilty of. Nothing personal, really. Like I said, I don't hate anybody. I'm just not willing to condone through silence any actions I don't approve of.