Some more two cents lol...

Okay, if any of my religious or legal logic is contradicting anything major, let me know. I am no lawyer and no priestess.

There are two types of marriages you can have in the US. A legal marriage and relegious marriage. Legal on is basically you sign a paper along with your spouse and you now are a legally recognized married couple with all the benefits and costs.

Then there is the religious marriage. I know in the Catholic faith, one must enter a six-month program before the wedding so the couple can make sure everything will work out -- they need to be able to solve difference etc etc etc since divorce is still shunned. I am not familiar with other demoninations.

Now, the government cannot say what defines a religious marriage. That is up to each denomination. If a certian church decides to allow a homosexual marriage, then that is up to them and not the governmant.

Likewise, none of the churches can stop a legal definition of marriage. They do not have to recognize a marriage outside of their own church. But I see no reason why a same-sex marriage in the legal sense can be a problem.