quote:
Originally posted by Matt Kennedy:
...Forget the bible, forget "tradition", forget any other half-baked excuse that tries to justify continued discrimination against gays and lesbians. Gays and lesbians should be afforded the same rights and benefits (not "special rights" as so many willfully obtuse people like to call them, but EQUAL rights) as heterosexuals. Period.

Why? [cool]

I have heard plenty of people say that homosexuals and heterosexuals should have the same rights. You all seem to be very committed to that perspective (which I can respect, as I generally abhor compromise on issues of this magnitude), to the point that it's basically accepted as gospel (okay, could have chosen better words there) and anyone who disagrees immediately raises a red flag in your minds.

I am just genuinely curious as to what exactly makes that postulate true. What's your reasoning behind that? We would probably all feel more comfortable once both sides explain exactly why they feel the way they do.

This 'because homosexuals should have the same rights as heterosexuals' line is starting to feel like a 'just because' explanation, which IMO isn't too much of an explanation at all. Perhaps if the supporters of gay rights would at least attempt to justify their position, it would be easier to come to a real understanding of the issue.