quote:
Originally posted by Dave the Wonder Boy:
[QUOTE]
Being gay is not a racial or otherwise easily distinguishable physical trait. It is a behavior. As I said, it is an obsession. I would compare it most closely to being a foot fetishist, or having a fetish for women's stockings, women's underwear, for lingerie, for cross-dressing, being a compulsive gambler, or an alcoholic, or to use another sexual example, a pedophile.
It is an obsession. And you don't give someone special minority status for a compulsion or sexual behavior.
( I can envision special minority status for men who wear women's underpants. Robin can be their poster-boy. [biiiig grin] Break out the green panties... )

Just to set you straight on this one, it is so much more than just a 'physical' obsesion. Speaking from a lifetime of knowledge on the subject, I can tell you it extends far beyond any initial physical attraction. I prefer the company of another man...I need it. I've dated many girls in my lifetime, and loved each of them for thier own beauty...but there is something there that falls short of any real connection.

If this were merely the desire to have sex with other men, as you seem to think, then I'd have long ago resigned myself the the idea that it was simply a sexual 'fetish'...But I know (and don't you dare argue me on this one, because cannot possibly argue it with any accurate understanding) it's more than that. As I've said before, my relationship carries all of the emotional baggage of any 'straight' relationship. Quite frankly, if I was in it just to satisfy a sexual fetish, I sure as hell wouldn't be settled down as I am now. I'm lucky if he's in the mood once or twice a week. :lol:

And if you ever mention pedophilia in the same breath as homosexuality again, I will hunt your arrogant ass down. I am sick to death of that. There is no possible connection, other than the ones your twisted sense of superiority has drawn.

Another thing, earlier in here you mentioned the whole 'yes it does hurt others, look at AIDS', or something to that effect. I hate when people mention this as a legitimate argument. Look at the social factors that have shaped the gay community...It has formed around secrecy and shame. There was a time (not that long ago, really...10 years back otta do it) when a successful gay relationship was a fantasy in light of societal pressures. We've seen people grow into their old age knowing deep down what they want, but not being allowed to live thier life in accord with thier heart's desire. Out of this shame, coupled with the fact that men (gay or 'straight') are generally more sexually active, we've seen the devlopement of a sub-culture where instant gratification was the closest one could get to thier ideal existence. It's sad and disgusting...and it's existence can be pinned more on judgmental forces like yourself and your church than those who sought personal fulfilment.

And at the end of the day, you'd be wise to note that lesbians have the lowest rate of HIV transmission out of any demographic, thereby blowing your whole theory to hell. Just who are they hurting?