quote:
Originally posted by Batwoman:
I keep saying I'm not going to post to this thread, but I keep thinking of things that I feel need to be said.

Something I was thinking about earlier, while designing a logo, of all things. I find it hypocritcal (maybe not the exact word I'm looking for) of people who bash Christians and say they're right and we're wrong, they have a right to say what they want, but the second a Christian opens their mouth and defends their faith/belief, they are labled closed minded hatemongers. Yet those that label us that are the "loving ones".

And I find it hypocritical that Christians - not all mind you but based on some of the comments on this thread certainly some - can actually be surprised when they judge people who don't follow their beliefs to the letter and call anyone who chooses a lifestyle that they are uncomfortable with "perverts" or sinner" and things less kind. Christians can defend their beliefs just like anyone else, but it seems to me that anyone who doesn't subscribe to the Christian way of thinking is immoral, a sinner or deviant on some level. And that way of thinking has been shown throughout this thread. And if people are made to feel that they are going to be labeled in an incredibly negative way because they don't subscribe to a "Christian" point of view, well, then I don't think its unreasonable that they are going to come out swinging. If you throw the first stone, don't be so surprised that it gets thrown back at you.

Listen, Christians, like anyone else practicing anyreligion, have every right to think and feel the way they do. What has surprised me though, throughout the four pages of this thread that I have read (the last four, BTW), is that quite a few times "Christian values" have been brought up as something that people should follow as if there are no other moral codes that people follow. And that's fine, if you are a Christian. You want to follow your beliefs, go right ahead, but to judge everyone by your rules and moral code is inevitably going to lead to a debate if those people don't follow your rules. What seems to be ignored is that not everyone is a Christian - and the whole "morals" thing is very subjective. I may not follow Christian values, but does that make me "immoral"? I don't think so. The values that Christians espouse are just a fraction of the different values that other people have in this country - and throughout the world - and not everyone is going to follow them.

Having said that, I was with a friend last night walking through the Village and then up through Chelsea. Clearly there had been a Gay Pride parade earlier in the day and having grown up in the City I can still say that last night was nothing I'd seen before. Couples were out in droves (my friend and I stood out like sore thumbs) and they were celebrating the Supremes decision earlier this week. It was really lovely to see. Now, I realize that not everyone agrees with this - for whatever their reasons - and that is fine, but throwing my 2 cents in at this late date - whether I agree with this lifestyle or not really doesn't matter - what I believe it comes down to is that what 2 consenting adults do behind closed doors is none of my damned business. Who am I to tell them what they can and cannot do? I would hate to think that the government can police what I chose to do in my bedroom with my b-friend.