I guess ultimately we're not debating Christianity, the moral appropriateness of homosexuality, the separation of Church and State, or whether or not people should come into a thread halfway through and start flaming everyone without giving a substantial argument of their own. All this thread was intended to do was inform us that someone somewhere was thinking about legalizing gay marriage. Ultimately, it's the government's call, since any legal, financial, or other material benefits for any marriage are sanctioned by the government anyway. If you've got an opinion, the best place to voice it is at your ballot box or in a letter to your local legislators.

The polls and court decisions will be the final judge of what's legal. As has been seen here, it's pointless to try and convince anyone of what we think is right or wrong. I'm saving anything else I might have to say on this for other threads - if I feel like it. I'd honestly rather see Rob close this topic and have someone else fire up a thread for the stuff we're discussing somewhere else than watch this thread continue to descend into mindless flame wars.