quote:
Originally posted by harleykwin:
quote:
Originally posted by Cowgirl Jack:
quote:

No malice intended. It's a serious question.

No malice taken, but the wording is confusing me. The 'legality of Christian marriage'? What do you mean? Christian marriages and legal marriages are two seperate things.

Actually, CJ brings up a good point - there is a difference between a Christian marriage and a legal marriage. I don't think that there is any problem with a legal marriage between gay couples, however I do think that there is a problem with a Christian gay marriage. With the latter, you would be asking the entire religion to change a core belief to suit the individual. While I am not a devout Jew, I would be hard pressed to be accepting of anything that would alter a core foundation of Judiasm. And it is here that I can understand a Christian being resistant to having gay couples wanting a Christian marriage, as it goes against something so fundamental in the beliefs of Christians. And you can't expect the Church - or any other religion - to change to suit you as an individual. [/QB]
No church is ever going to be forced to change their policies--- if they don't want to accept gays or perform church weddings for them that is their right. And that's the way things should be.

But many churches DO accept gays--- and I'm sure more than a few churches WILL perform weddings for gays one day (some already do). Like Matter-Eater Lad mentioned earlier, a win-win situation for ALL parties. EVERYONE has the right to their faith in this country regardless of race, gender, or sexual orientation.