quote:
Originally posted by Dave the Wonder Boy:
...you allege that I say that AIDS/HIV is a gay disease and is proof that homosexuality is immoral. I've come back AGAIN AND AGAIN and explained otherwise, that homosexuality is ONE FORM of immoral behavior that spreads the virus, that it is a manifestation that homosexuality is not a "victimless crime".

The argument there is flawed.
Unprotected homosexual sex is one form of behaviour that spreads the virus, true. As is unprotected heterosexual sex (and sharing needles, etc, etc).
The implication here is not that homosexuality isn't a victimless crime. The implication is that unprotected sex while one is infected isn't a victimless crime; whether straight or gay. The sexual orientation is irrelevant.

quote:

My argument's cornerstone is the Bible.

And all I am saying is that the Bible should have no bearing on government laws.

I do not wish to take away the faith you place in the bible. While I may disagree with it, if it works for you, cool. I have no desire to undermine your religious beliefs.

I do think that the bible is not a good place to source one's argument in a discussion of law, as I've stated.
In a discussion of morals, the argument becomes somewhat murkier. You take your moral standard from the bible; fine. But when you start using it as a way to impede someone else's rights (ie: the right to wed), that I have a problem with (please keep in mind that when I say 'wed' I mean legal marriage, not church marriage. As has been made abundantly clear in this thread, they are two different things).

quote:
I only said that allowing gay marriage, and the legal precedent it would set, would open the door to rights and legal precedents for other sexual/moral abberations.
My only counter to this is that I believe homosexuality is not a moral abberation. The argument that allowing gay marriage leads to softening views on things that actually do have victims (the oft mentioned rape, pedophilia, etc) is a flawed one, as homosexual marriage is a consenting act that hurts nobody.