quote:
Originally posted by Dave:
But lets pick an example which you might have more acceptance of: the earth's movement through space.

1 Chronicles 16:30: “He has fixed the earth firm, immovable.”

Psalm 93:1: “Thou hast fixed the earth immovable and firm ...”

Psalm 96:10: “He has fixed the earth firm, immovable ...”

Psalm 104:5: “Thou didst fix the earth on its foundation so that it never can be shaken.”

Isaiah 45:18: “...who made the earth and fashioned it, and himself fixed it fast...”

Or astrophysics: we contend that the stars are merely burning balls of hydrogen:

"...the morning stars sang together and all the sons of God shouted aloud (Job 38:7).”

Earth is fixed on its axis, and fixed in orbit around the sun.

What you say does not prove Biblical innacuracy.

Regarding the apocryphal verses, they are by definition apocryphal, not Biblical. They were rejected from the Bible because they were discovered over time to be thematically and structurally inconsistent with the themes of the accepted 66 books of the Bible. Communication in ancient times was not what it is in modern times and the Christian church arguably did not have control over all the things said in the name, or even in the mainstream, of Christianity. And come to think of it, even in modern times, things can be alleged (the acceptance of gay marriage, for example) in the name of Christianity that is not representative of the vast majority of Christians.

Regarding the age-of-the-Earth/geophysics argument you raised, I know there are Christians who claim the Earth is only 6,000 years old. I AM NOT ONE OF THEM.
I don't believe for certain that evolution, and the Creation account in Genesis, are mutually exclusive. The Bible does not say specifically that the Earth is only 6,000 years old, or that it is 6 billion years old. This aspect is open to interpretation.
I certainly don't argue for the "Earth is only 6,000 years old" camp.
I also don't argue for Evolution.
Pending further evidence, the actual creation acount could be Creation, Evolution, or a combination of both.