quote:
Originally posted by Harpy:
quote:
Originally posted by Dave:
Still, your answer is interesting. There are Biblical scholars who have discussed that section of the Bible...how does it go, "For a rich man shall not pass into heaven anymore than a camel shall not pass through the eye of a needle." I have read that this is very likely to be an error in transcription: no one would think of something so absurd as a camel passing through a needle's eye - it was more likely to be a reference to a camel hair.

The arguement I've always heard is that 'The Eye of the Needle' was the name of a very narrow passageway in the capital. Getting a camel loaded with wine barrels and what not were super difficult. If Jesus lived in modern-day Tampa (where I'm from) he'd say 'For a rich man shall not pass into heaven anymore than a car going through Malfunction Junction (shitty piece of highway where every commuter use to get stuck on).'

Ah, well that's a new one on me.

quote:

quote:
And wasn't it Paul who was responsible for the New Testement's dissemination?
In Paul's defense, a lot of the stuff in the Bible under his name was not written by Paul. And his works were tampered with. A lot of the sexist comments were added in and its pretty easy to tell because the style changes. Just one way scholars can tell where Scripture has been tampered with.
[/qb][/quote]

That's interesting of itself, but I actually meant that it was Paul who was the proslytiser (sp?) after Jesus' death: if not for his remarkable skills in disseminating and perpetuating Jesus' story, there'd not have been a Christian religion.

My point is that it wasn't divine intervention which propogated the Bible: it was sheer hard work by Paul and others like him.