Just to go way, way, way back to pages long forgotten(probably), I'll throw in my two cents....

Dave WB-I can respect your opinion, as you do appear to be a well educated individual, but some of your reasoning is suspect(to me).

Firstly, I don't see how what's written in the Bible dictates the legality of same sex marriages. You seem to believe that the law should be concerned with the moral teachings of a(not the most common, and certainly not the only) religous sect. I can only ask....why? The United States of America was founded on the principle of freedom, and this archaic law contradicts that foundation.

Secondly, biblical interpretations are not adamant. The bible is not suppose to be directly from God, but, as you touch on, only "inspired" by God. It's still a human's words on paper, and humans are imperfect. The bible once said that slavery was morally acceptable, reflecting the social standards of the era in which it was written. As I'm sure you know, we are no longer in that era.

Thirdly, and what is most puzzling to me, I don't see how something like same sex marriage is "forced on the mainstream of American culture". I am not religous. Infact, I consider religion to be absurd, but I tolerate it's affect on the world, and living in Texas, I can tell you, it's affect is much, much, much larger than anything else. From schools that have prayer servies, to athletes that "thank god" after every touchdown/goal/homerun/win, religion is everywhere. I don't, however, see players thanking their gay husbands in a post-game interview, or congressman chanting "I'm here, I'm queer, get used to it" at conventions. I think that if I, and millions of other people, can tolerate the massive presence that is religion in the U.S, you, and those with your beliefs, can tolerate gay marriages. You don't have to like or accept it, but so long as it's not breaking the law, you do have to tolerate it, just like it tolerates you.

My two cents. Realize I'm chiming in waaaaaay late, but I wanted to say it anyway, so there it is.