I'm more inclined to think that you can both genetic and environmental factors can affect sexual orintation.

As with high cholestroal, obesity, and recently theorized, alcholism (although I am having trouble 'swallowing' this idea) homosexuality might have genetic factors (I am not saying homosexuality is bad like those three examples, but they are all possibly genetically-linked). But most genetic factors have to be 'switched on' in some sort of a way. For example, I have been told I might be genetically predisposed for diabetes, so I moniter my diet and none of the problems have surfaced. Now something like breast cancer, which some members of my family have been diagnosed with, is a little harder or impossible to prevent, but that's something that increases with age.

So there could be some sort of homosexual genetics out there (I'm not sure what else it could involve but maybe different coding for proteins in hormones? its not been studied well I suppose). But it has to be 'triggered'. It could be dissatifaction with the opposite gender, or maybe abuse as a child. The 'trigger' factors could be endless.

Looking at Man-eater Man's info he pulled up:

1. I am not suprised after the deal with hypotalamus. The right-left brain part I don't understand, but that's still interesting.
2. Having the 'gay gene' on the X-chromosome is interesting. But it leaves me a little confused. That would make homosexuality the same as color-blindness in terms of who can inherit it. A homosexual male would have to have either a homosexual mother or be a carrier. A homosexual woman would need a homosexual father and either a carrier or homosexual mother...ah screw it this is hurting my head. This means either there are more genes coding for it or something is behavioral-based as well.

Klinton, I want to comment on what you said. Some of it was dead on, but some of it was a little off, IMO. First of all, not all species have homosexual tendicies because not all species are sexual (bacteria are asexual for the most part). And even amongst those that procreate sexually, some actually have no gender until mating (like snails -- the one that gives the other snail its genetic material is considered the 'male'). Many plants have both male and female sex parts.

I think you meant animal species, but snails and other species can't really be defined as male-female. Fish change sexes all the time. As you go up the evolutionary ladder, there is a greater difference in the genders of each species. This is called 'sexual dimorphism' in case you are a Trivial Pursuit fan.

And these more advance animals tend to act homosexual as more as a dominant issue. One bitch willl hump another to prove she is the alpha female. Monkeys show the same behavior. So personally, I would invest more in the idea of genetics than using animals as an example. Using animals lowers oneself to their level, and that is no good way to win an arguement.

Right...back to studing biology *makes snoring sounds and falls asleep on books*