quote:
Originally posted by klinton:
quote:
Originally posted by Harpy:

Klinton, I want to comment on what you said. Some of it was dead on, but some of it was a little off, IMO. First of all, not all species have homosexual tendicies because not all species are sexual (bacteria are asexual for the most part). And even amongst those that procreate sexually, some actually have no gender until mating (like snails -- the one that gives the other snail its genetic material is considered the 'male'). Many plants have both male and female sex parts.

I think you meant animal species, but snails and other species can't really be defined as male-female. Fish change sexes all the time. As you go up the evolutionary ladder, there is a greater difference in the genders of each species. This is called 'sexual dimorphism' in case you are a Trivial Pursuit fan.

And these more advance animals tend to act homosexual as more as a dominant issue. One bitch willl hump another to prove she is the alpha female. Monkeys show the same behavior. So personally, I would invest more in the idea of genetics than using animals as an example. Using animals lowers oneself to their level, and that is no good way to win an arguement.

I had mammals in mind as I said that....so I dunno where snails, bacteria and shit fit into the picture. And in terms of 'lowering onself' I think the human tendancy to look at ourselves as somehow superior to everything else on the planet is a huge error, and the catalyst for all sorts of cruelties on this planet (but that is really the subject for another discuission).

Very well said, K.