APA Reissues Warning Over 'Reparative' Therapy
Wednesday, February 16th 2000

WASHINGTON -- The American Psychiatric Association has issued an updated fact sheet on the potential harm caused by "reparative therapy," adding its condemnation of the practice to the persistent national debate over whether gay men and lesbians can become heterosexual using therapeutic techniques.

The Cox News Service reports the updated fact-sheet on "Homosexual and Bisexual Issues," issued on Feb. 5, reaffirms the organization's position that there is no clinical evidence that psychiatric intervention has any lasting impact on changing a patient's sexual orientation. It also reaffirmed that some studies show it can, in fact, be harmful.

Overview of this issue
> Ex-Gay and Conversion Ministries
Web Sites
> APA Q&A on Homosexuality
Other Data Lounge stories
> Washington DC
Send this article to a friend"Sexual orientation, like gender identity, appears to be established early in life," the APA says. While the group acknowledges that anecdotal reports contend psychotherapy has helped change gay men and lesbians' sexual orientation "for some motivated individuals for limited periods of time," the association also said "such changes often are accompanied by depression, anxiety and other symptoms."

The organization said the most effective long-term therapeutic solution for people suffering guilt, shame and self-hatred over their same-sex desires is aimed at reaffirming their sense of worth in what the APA calls a homophobic society.

"Relief of homophobia allows for better psychological functioning," the statement explained. "Those who have integrated their sexual orientation into a positive sense of themselves function at a healthier psychological level than those who have not."
-- C. Barillas, Editor

http://www.datalounge.com/datalounge/news/record.html?record=5406

Pariah I can't find any article that matches what you described. So I can't really comment on it.

Captain Sammich, if those guys are truly content then I'm happy for them. Not quite sure how that would somehow change their attraction to the same sex though. I know plenty of gays that seem to come from happy religous homes. Mine was practically the Brady Bunch. It still didn't make me straight, it did however make me a better,stronger person. And all 20 changing their orientation? Narth & these other de-gaying groups don't claim anything like that even & as posted above the APA still says reparative therapy can even cause harm in some cases.

Fair play!