Quote:

Dave the Wonder Boy said:
The passage Animalman refers to (outside its full context, as is the norm for the pro-gay side of this topic) is from:

http://bible.gospelcom.net/bible?passage=MATT+22&language=english&version=NIV
Quote:

Matthew 22: verses 34-39:
The Greatest Commandment
34 Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together.
35 One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question:
36 "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?"
37 Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'
38 This is the first and greatest commandment.
39 And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'
40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Your cheapshot aside, thanks for quoting that passage. I didn't want to have to write it all out myself.

Quote:

But whereas, Animalman implies that Christ declared these as the greatest commandments, to be practiced in exclusion of all the prior commandments, Christ says that they are the foundation of all the commandments to be kept.

No, I never implied that Christ was saying those two commandments should be practiced in exclusion of the others. I said that he was prioritizing the commandments, declaring that loving your neighbor and your God is the greatest(and most important) thing we, as people, can do. I also said that prioritizing them, was, in a sense, revisionment, but revisionment of the order of the commandments, not of the message of the commandments themselves.

Here's where I touched on that:

"It's Mark 12:28-31, if that's what you're indirectly asking. Jesus was asked which commandment was the most important, and responded by listing those two.

When you consider that this is holy scripture, to prioritize it is, infact, revisionment. These were supposedly God's words, these commandments. For any man to place one above another in importance would be not only pretentious but blasphemous as well. Jesus was clarifying, he was saying that loving everyone(especially God) is more important than anything else."

Additionally, the fact that Jesus says "All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" would indicate it was a summarization of sorts.

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.